Second HD not found in computer (File explorer)

artie711

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hello again people.
Well the title says it all. I recently installed 2 hard drives into my computer. 1 is SSD with windows 8 and the other 1 was going to use for games, apps, etc. Have a look at the topic here ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/295608-14-raid-this ) The answer provides everything i did. When im in the BIOS screen my computer detects the SSD, HDD, and the CD rom. My boot priorities are #1 SSD # 2 HDD ( which has nothing on it ) but when i qo into windows and i go into my computer the only drive that is located is the SSD so how do i get the other drive on there? Also im a noob at this because i have never had 2 hard drives in the same computer. Also, both of my drives are in AHCI.

Thanks for the help!

artie711

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
The drive shows up in the manager along with my ssd. There is no option to initialize. In the events tab ( in the device manager ) it says : Disk started ( disk) and disk configured (disk.inf)

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Did you create a new simple volume within disk management as ss202sl suggested? If the drive is showing up as unallocated within disk management you need to create a volume to allocate the space.

artie711

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Yes, in the volumes tab i click "populate" then this list shows up: Disk: DISK 0
Type: UKNOWN
Partition style: NOT applicable
capacity: 953870MB
unallocated space: 0MB
Reserved Space: 0MB

I cant find the option to initialize.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
In the lower portion of disk management try right clicking on the drive and reformatting it to ntfs then recreate the simple volume using all the unallocated space. You should be seeing something similar to this:
Diskmanagement_zps88d56d3f.png

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
No need too, just when you go to install programs pick that drive as the install location. You can create folders for music, videos, and documents if you like but how you manage the space on the drive is totally up to you. If you have space install programs and games you use a lot on the SSD since it will load programs much faster than the HDD.

Selecting a best answer will notify the mods that they can close this thread since a solution has been found. Glad I could help with the problem.