Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which card - GTX460 vs GTX465

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 13, 2010 11:29:42 AM

Hi

Stuck between the following, all very similar prices. Obviously the GTX465 has more cores but lower frequency. How does this compare with a GTX460....or the GTX460 sonic @ 4000Mhz, or even the 2gb GTX460. All so competitively priced

1gb GTX465 - £174
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Palit-GTX465-40nm-32...

1gb GTX460 - £177
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Gigabyte-GTX-460-OC-...

1gb GTX460 @ 4000Mhz - £185
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Palit-GTX-460-Sonic-...

2gb GTX460 - £189
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2GB-Palit-GTX-460-Sonic-...

Or any equivalent in this price bracket

Just want the best for my money obviously

Thanks guys

More about : card gtx460 gtx465

a c 271 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 12:45:21 PM

The Palit 1GB card is a tenner less than the Gigabyte one.
Related resources
August 13, 2010 1:22:50 PM

I know it is, i just like the fans on the gigabyte ;) 

More concerned with 1gb 460 vs 1gb @4000mhz 460 vs 2gb 460 vs 1gb 465

?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 1:24:53 PM

The Palit GTX460 Sonic edition beats the HD5850 in most benchmarks. SO i would say if you get that that would be the best choice!
August 13, 2010 1:54:17 PM

How does it compare with the GTX 465 though...not a massive price dif so could swing either way
August 13, 2010 2:32:15 PM

lmartinefc said:
How does it compare with the GTX 465 though...not a massive price dif so could swing either way

I would say that the Sonic Platinum GTX 460 is FASTER than the stock 465 :D 
August 13, 2010 2:36:32 PM

Hmmm....they do 2 sonic cards. They do a Palit 1gb Sonic, and a Palit 2gb Sonic

They then do the Sonic platinum @ 4000mhz

I can only find sonic by Palit...what makes the sonic so special?
August 13, 2010 2:41:58 PM

Sorry scrap last, its all the other frequency jumps. The platinum is even higher than the sonic. Think £185 looks like good value for this card...

Should smack the pants off a stock 465
August 13, 2010 2:43:51 PM

lmartinefc said:
Sorry scrap last, its all the other frequency jumps. The platinum is even higher than the sonic. Think £185 looks like good value for this card...

Should smack the pants off a stock 465

Yes, and cheaper ;) 
August 13, 2010 2:58:10 PM

And everyone is saying the 2gb is waste of time. The GPU is now powerful enough to utilise the full 2gb.

But then they say in SLI would run, as double memory bandwidth?
August 13, 2010 3:09:16 PM

lmartinefc said:
And everyone is saying the 2gb is waste of time. The GPU is now powerful enough to utilise the full 2gb.

But then they say in SLI would run, as double memory bandwidth?

nop.
The 768 version runs at 128 bit interface. (smaller)
The 1gb and 2gb run at 256 bit (bigger)
2gb is not worth it.
1gb is better than 768.
Get the one with 1gb :D 
August 13, 2010 3:22:39 PM

Cool so a nice OC 460 will do well...the best of which appears to be the Palit. And it looks pretty. Now I can run the SIMS at full resolution
August 13, 2010 3:45:32 PM

Hey i have that same Motherboard on my HTP!!!
LOL!!!
Very nice one indeed! :D 
SIMS would be easy for the GTX indeed :D 
August 13, 2010 3:49:56 PM

only joking about sims. Im thinking more BFBC2, the new COD and the new MOH....nice!

It is a nice board, had issues trying to use my cheapo value Crucial CL9 RAM (windows freezing)...but bought some G skill CL8 gaming ram and it runs super quick now...
August 13, 2010 3:55:53 PM

lmartinefc said:
only joking about sims. Im thinking more BFBC2, the new COD and the new MOH....nice!

It is a nice board, had issues trying to use my cheapo value Crucial CL9 RAM (windows freezing)...but bought some G skill CL8 gaming ram and it runs super quick now...

LOL!!!!!
Bad company runs great, COD.. well.. like 100+ fps hahahahaha
:lol: 
August 13, 2010 3:59:28 PM

is the new COD (Black Ops) DX11 ? what about the new Medal Of Honour? they both look mint....hoping this will be the next big move for both series. Didn't like world at war, and modern warfare 2 was ok....nothing majorly different from modern warfare (and that was good on direct x9)
August 13, 2010 4:05:50 PM

lmartinefc said:
is the new COD (Black Ops) DX11 ? what about the new Medal Of Honour? they both look mint....hoping this will be the next big move for both series. Didn't like world at war, and modern warfare 2 was ok....nothing majorly different from modern warfare (and that was good on direct x9)

Medal of honor uses the same engine as Bad company 2. Bad company 2 uses DX11 for soft shadows and some other stuff, so i would think that MOH would take advantage of DX11.
As for COD i could't tell really, let's hope it does! :ange: 
August 16, 2010 1:13:54 PM

It runs my 8800GTS ok and that is 133w according to the same source...

By my calcs (not taking into account load of the mobo and RAM) should have 50w spare at least, and it is a tuned PSU designed for performance and stability (so they say)
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2010 1:39:38 PM

The new COD should be DX11, would be stupid not to, i'm guessing devs can't wait to get out of 10. Anyway, personally i'd be uncomfortable with 350w powering your setup right there, i'd at least go for a 450 - 500w of some description, but thats just my 'better safe than sorry' mentality. Its totally up to you.
August 16, 2010 2:27:25 PM

Going to get stung for another £55 from silverstone for their 450w SFX PSU...only one that will fit into my SUGO 06 (as far as I know?)
August 17, 2010 10:51:52 AM

All ordered. Palit 1gb Sonic Platinum 4000Mhz / 800Mhz. Looked at the benchies this thing is on par or beats the 5850 in most tests. Had to ge teh 450w silverstone 80+ SFX psu...was another £55 on top but would have had to get it sooner or later, can't keep running off a 300w.

August 17, 2010 9:13:27 PM

lmartinefc said:
All ordered. Palit 1gb Sonic Platinum 4000Mhz / 800Mhz. Looked at the benchies this thing is on par or beats the 5850 in most tests. Had to ge teh 450w silverstone 80+ SFX psu...was another £55 on top but would have had to get it sooner or later, can't keep running off a 300w.

That's a nice little psu =)
I'll get myself a couple of those gtx 460s for my next build, im still amazed!!!! :ange: 
August 17, 2010 9:26:01 PM

Dont get it from scan. Paid for next day delivery with the above PSU...and tagged a £20 DVD drive on. Drive out of stocl (although website says it in stock) so they wait til 6.30 to send me an automated email, when the office is closed so cant call. Won't be receiving next day! I would have ditched the DVD drive, don't they have any common sense...or a phone? Obviously knew before 5.30 that it was out of stock, they just like to avoid customers.

Was cheaper at aria.co.uk (web special price of £182) but though i'd stick with convenience. Last time this happened my order was sat there for two weeks until i cancelled the item that was out of stock

Sort it out! ebuyer...11pm order....next day. I only buy from scan because they have other bits nobody else has....like this (should arrive in 2 days) :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Coolermaster-Lab-Test-Be...
August 20, 2010 11:00:12 AM

Got the card up and running. This thing is TINY! And very light. The Sonic Platinum does not use the reference design, it is a new PCB. About an inch shorter. Run's so quiet as I think it uses solid state power loops. No buzzing that you get from some cards under load. The fan is suprisingly powerful as well.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 11:05:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!