Sign in with
Your question

Microphone registers, but I'm getting no sound.

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2010 12:25:29 AM

Hello,

So I have this tiny little issue that has been bugging me for a while.

I use Ventrilo while playing WoW with my buddies, but I can only listen to sound through the headset. Whenever I try to talk in Vent, no sound registers. Ive done multiple tests with Codecs and settings in Vent, and nothing has worked. I figured it might just be something wrong with ventrilo, so I've tried recording even my voice talking in the headset. No dice. When I look at my sound devices, it registers that I have a microphone plugged into the front jack of my tower, but still nothing comes out when I talk.

Just FYI, I have a ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard and a NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

I have no sound card, so its nothing hanky with that, but Im thinking a cord may on the wrong slot of the mobo. If anyone has any sort of help on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks much!
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 24, 2010 12:45:33 AM

If you go into sound devices in control panel, you should be able to test it there. It would most likely not register if the cord was not in the right place.
September 24, 2010 12:46:55 AM

The only thing im not sure about, is if it is in the wrong spot.....Where do I plug the cords into. Heh. When I installed everything in the beginning, I had one of my Tech teachers helping me build it, and even he wasnt completely sure where to plug in the cables.
Related resources
September 24, 2010 1:12:55 AM

http://www.nzxt.com/Download/tempest_manual_eng.pdf - Here is the manual for the Case

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/qig/P55%20Extreme.pdf - Here is the manual for the Mobo.

Basically, im trying to figure out which cables from the front of the case, go to which slots on the MoBo.

Right now I have the HD Audio cable hooked up to the Front Panel Audio Header. Im not sure if, or where, I need to put in the

Mic-In, or Mic-VCC cables, if they even have anything to do with it.

Ive had this machine running top notch, from start to finish....yet Audio always seems to come back and bite me :) 

Thanks again for reading!

-Nelson900
September 24, 2010 1:13:10 AM

to be sure you will have to have the motherboard manual and the case manual. both list the pin outs for the connectors. Most go by a std but oem's like dell, HP and etc are notorious for changing things around.
September 24, 2010 1:35:21 AM

Ya, im really unsure what is going on here. The one cable, that comes from the front jack, goes to the HD audio port on the MoBo. Its literally from point A to point B, yet C is missing somewhere in the middle. lol
September 24, 2010 1:44:02 AM

What brand name is the case? What brand name is the motherboard?
October 4, 2010 1:53:04 PM

Check first post :) 

NZXT Tempest and ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
!