Sign in with
Your question

Intel Raid 5 migration

Last response: in Storage
January 2, 2013 4:46:02 PM

Hi guys

strange issue.
I moved 4 1tb blacks in raid 5 from my old x58 mb to my even older dp35dp mb.
I can access the array, and all the files are intact, but in the matrix storage i have a message that the array is incompatible.
here is the intel compatibility table:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020674...

More about : intel raid migration

a b G Storage
January 2, 2013 5:37:40 PM

From previous experience - best practice would be to backup the data to another drive, and reinitialize/partition/format the drive array on the new system, then restore the data.

I have migrated many drives to secondary systems, and even if the controller is the same model, there can be issues with the drives. I didn't troubleshoot down to hardware, software, drivers, and/or the firmware....but if anything is different, you may not notice the problems until it is too late....and you lose data.

It may even work 9 out of 10 times....do you want to be the 1 that fails?
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:22:25 PM

I know that it is what i will probably will have to do, still i hope to find a solution.
Backuping 2.6 tb of data is a problem....
In Intel compatibility table it should work.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 2, 2013 6:52:10 PM

I wish I had better news for you. I used to keep a 2TB external drive around for that reason....although, you will need 3TB. It might work well short term, but is the risk of losing your data worth the risk?
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:44:03 PM

Problem solved...I feel dumb, i just had to disable "intel rapid restore" in bios.
Ooo....
Any way thanx for all the help guys
m
l
!