Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade to current system

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2010 12:30:32 AM

So my Rig Right now sucks somewhat lol, single core processor and crap.... so i though hmm whynot get a whole new computer? or just buy a new motherboard and CPU so i though yea that'd be cheaper now im just wondering will the motherboard im getting support my old DDR2 Ram untill i get some new DDR3 ram? (motherboard= AM3)

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

(i live in canada if that matters if you have better suggestions)

P.S. Oh yea if you recommend something my budget is under $200 combined so right now with shipping and everthing its like 180 (shipping included cannot go over 200)

More about : upgrade current system

a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 8:01:45 AM

BTW : What are your current proc, and mobo?
If you are using AM2+ mobo, I would say,
You can most probably upgrade the proc to the new ones (AM3) and you can add more DDR2 RAM to it.
All you need is probably only a BIOS update.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 8:07:21 AM

Some AM3 motherboards can run DDR2 and in my experience you won't notice a massive speed difference DDR3 over DDR2. Question is, do the AM3 DDR2 capable motherboards have all the features you may want.

Eg. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A785G-HTPC-AMD-78...(x16)-DDR2-1200(OC)-SATA-3Gb-s-RAID-uATX-VGA
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 9:56:37 AM

The problem is retailers labeling "AM3 ready" AM2+ mobos with DDR2 DIMM slots as simply AM3 or on Egg AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket mobos This is bad as it could easily confuse peeps that these mobos have DDR3 DIMM slots
m
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 2:44:21 PM

If I see "AM2" and/or "AM2+" on a mobo, I know it has DDR2 because those CPUs don't have the DDR3 controllers on them.
m
l
September 24, 2010 7:51:27 PM

I know that am2 and am2+ use ddr2 ram i was just wondering if ddr2 ram will work in an am3 uhh but i forgot to mention my PSU is only 250watts so i can't really get the best processor i don't think so i dunno know but i don't want to have to get a new psu right at the moment... but anyways my specs are

AMD Athlon 3800+ (single core)
ATI Radeon HD 4350
1gb RAM
160gb Harddisk (doesnt need upgraded)
Some Crap Motherboard by Acer
m
l
September 24, 2010 9:21:25 PM

@Batuchka a couple problems with your thing is that motherboard is not mirco ATX and i dunno if it'll fit in my case (dont want to take chances) and yea i got everything sorted out i think im getting a cheap 1gb ddr3 ram just to start off, AMD Athlon II x2 250 (since it doesnt use alot of power) and a decent motherboard i think (im not the best with motherboards) and then i already have my Harddrive and GFX Card
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2010 12:52:40 AM

Well 1st off use this template stickied so we know exactly what h/w u plan to reuse, budget, etc
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

Next a capable 80+ 300-400W for IGP/low power discrete solutions is to be seen as a long term investment: a dead PSU may take out more key components
m
l
September 25, 2010 1:00:50 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Chirstmas Is When I'm Buying All This

Budget Range: $200 (including shipping)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, General Use and such

Parts Not Required: Keyboard,Mouse,Monitor,Speakers,OS,Harddrive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU and mirco ATX motherboard

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Uhh its not needed

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: All I Need Is A Motherboard, CPU and RAM
m
l
September 25, 2010 3:13:08 PM

@zipzoomflyhigh uhh problem with the motherboard i don't want to take any chances of it not fitting so i don't want a ATX board i want a Mirco ATX Board, Unless Someone Can Tell me how to find out which is in my system right now then i'll be fine with that motherboard
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 3:54:20 AM

Hmm download CPU-Z, run it and let us know what the 'Mainboard' tab is reporting so we could ascertain the model and hence form factor
m
l
September 26, 2010 2:41:15 PM

em61sm/em61pm all i know is it's a modified foxcoon motherboard
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2010 12:05:09 PM

Just download and run the CPU-Z and tell us what is your mobo and its form factor!
m
l
September 27, 2010 7:55:26 PM

cpu z doesn't say form factor and i told you mu Mobo is a EM61SM/EM61PM! i dunno anything else thats all it saids
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2010 11:32:38 AM

Why is it so hard?
THe CPU-Z will tell you the mobo type...you will then be able to know its form factor...
google a bit can ya? enter your mobo type as key word.

BTW : just like batuchka, I also believe that your mobo is a mATX mobo.
hmmm....it seems that you must also replace your mobo to get the new proc running..if your mobo is the exact one like batuchka has posted.
As far as I know...there is no BIOS updates for that mobo to be able to support the AM3s.

m
l
September 28, 2010 9:09:06 PM

oh my god, look at the very first post i put a new motherboard link saying that was the new one i was gonna get are you ******* retarded, and what do you mean look on cpu for the mobo type i told you it was a goddamn em61sm/em61pm TWICE, now im just getting pissed off how about you read next time,
m
l
!