New laptop shut itself down and wont turn on

liane0

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I've just bought 2 laptops (samsung and emachines), yesterday my daughters laptop turned on and now won't turn on. This morning my one (samsung) did the same while I was playing a topgames arcade game (downloaded yesterday). We have a wireless connection via router to internet.
No matter what I try I can't get any lights to turn on on our laptops. My one has an integrated long-lasting battery and can't be disconnected.
Is there a new virus threat out there at the moment cause this seems pretty strange (and laptops are only a month old and were working fine). Please help!!
Both machines are windows7 and have current trend micro internet protection installed.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hello,

This sometimes happens with new laptops, but it is pretty rare. For this to happen to 2 new laptops, you must be pretty unlucky !
What you must do is first remove the battery, then push the power button to empty the capacitors, then replug your battery and press power.
Everything should now work correctly.

Hope this helps !
al360ex

liane0

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Thankyou for the suggestion. I will try this with the emachines one (and let you know how I get on), but the samsung one has an integrated battery which can't be removed by the user. It is a long charge-life type, approx 6 hours. I've phoned Samsung support (under warranty) and will also let you know how I get on there.

liane0

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Okay, update: Tried the suggestion (and a few variations on it based on other details provided in this forum) on the emachines laptop. No success unfortunately.
:(

liane0

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
UPDATE: samsung laptop not faulty after all - was not plugged into power point properly - didn't get warning about battery going flat and unit looked plugged in (behind furniture) so didn't even think of it. Coupled with other problem of other laptop (and history of issues with older pc's in past) I jumped to conclusions! A bit embarrassing. But am very relieved!! :) . This was realised after talking with a samsung person (very helpful) who in a general chat on the day after the problem occurred.

As for emachines laptop... had to give this to warranty people and haven't heard back yet. When turning on, there is a brief fan sound and LED light is on, but then after 1-2 seconds fan stops and nothing boots, and LED stays on. DVD can still open/close.
Will update when I know.

(I hate reading forums with questions similar to my own - and they don't come back with final solutions or outcomes!)

Svilona

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

I just had this happen. And ur solution worked. Could u go into further detail to explain the cause? Also does this reflect poorly on this specific laptop?

Thanks

Scott