Sign in with
Your question

On-board vs. X-FI titanium (optical)

Last response: in Components
December 18, 2010 8:13:49 PM

So I had the lowest end creative sound card in my system, the Audigy SE I believe. I needed it for 7.1 capabilities. Well I recently sold my computer speakers due to the purchase of a home theater system. I planned to connect my computer to my LCD tv through HDMI and to my home theater set up through optical. The Audigy SE did not have optical out, so I purchased the Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty (it was on sale).

It turns out, my on-board sound card (Intel HD audio, on a Foxxconn nvidia 570 SLI board) has an optical out (crap). So I am sitting here with a nice new sound card and I am not even sure I will need it. What kind of benefits can I expect from this sound card? Is it worth the $60 I spent on it? Thanks!

More about : board titanium optical

December 19, 2010 10:43:44 AM

you will only get he msot benifits if u use analogue output.

what is your home theatre setup??? if ur amp/receiver is good, then u may not need a soundcard.
m
l
December 19, 2010 11:41:53 AM

what is your HTS? using the analogue on your HTS would be a definite plus but the optical will have issues...as most people on the forums post of this.

I'd advise to go and have a shot at both...though your 570 will have limitations with the onbaord soundchip. I'm kinda skeptical about the x-fi's ability with the one plug solution for HTS's - they have a dodgy driver support and a problematic optical out. Games(some) won't sound 5.1/7.1 but movies will play with 5.1/7.1 no prob
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2010 1:17:33 PM

i doubt he has any intentions of any recording.
m
l
December 20, 2010 6:34:16 AM

^ thats half of the equation. What about the speakers for your HTS setup?

your x-fi is atop of the onboard at this point and since you've bought it (i don't think there are return options...or is there?)

Realtek ALC882H specs and SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty specs (might need to click on the specifications tab).

The x-fi has a better SNR ;Signal-to-Noise Ratio; than the realtek - 109dBA vs 90dBA respectively.

But you could return it and get an HT | Omega striker :/  and i just looked up your recievers manual from here, it'll support the connectivity.

But Like i said, use the coaxial S/PDIF then optical from your mobo first and then move on to the x-fi optical. The one that sounds better takes home the crown.
m
l
December 20, 2010 7:00:05 AM

if your receiver is the updated to teh HDMI.13 version get a cheap ATI 5xxx or 6xxx grahpics card.
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:15:21 AM

MEgamer said:
if your receiver is the updated to teh HDMI.13 version get a cheap ATI 5xxx or 6xxx grahpics card.

The hdmi is video pass through only.
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:50:56 AM

Well, the main advantage the X-fi will give is the ability to encode 5.1 audio to either Dolby or DTS, so you can pass a 5.1 signal over a SPDIF connection. So if you do games and have a 5.1 setup, the X-fi gives the ability to output 5.1 over optical by encoding the game audio to one of those formats.
m
l
December 27, 2010 11:39:31 AM

^
^ i see

jsut use analogue connection, unless of course ur amp is much better.
m
l
!