Dual monitors, different resolutions?

chengbin

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have a HTPC that is dedicated to my 1080p TV. I have a 17'' 5:4 monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024 hooked up to my Pentium 4 computer. I'd like to hook both of them up in clone mode. The purpose is to be able to get rid of my P4, and use both on my HTPC.

This is what I want to do.

Because I sit 10 ft from my TV, even with high DPI, I prefer reading on a monitor, close up. For example, if I want to open a movie, I'll bring my wireless keyboard and mouse to my 17'' monitor, open media player classic, open the video file, and then turn on my TV, voila. Another use is simply replacing my P4, which is only used for internet surfing. I'd like to do that on the HTPC.

Is that possible? I don't mind scaling, like converting 1920x1080 to 1280x768 with large black bars on top and bottom.

Thanks.

If you duplicate, the smaller resolution would be forced on the higher resolution monitor. This will result in a lower grade of image on the primary screen. If you can force the primary screen to not scretch the image, you'll have large black bars on the sides, and smaller bars at the top as well.

sl83r

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

True...think i misunderstood what he was attempting. :pfff: But it is one way to consider.