Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows Freezes at "Install Windows" Screen

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 11, 2011 5:28:51 AM

I just built my first PC ever. After finally getting everything up and running, I made it into the BIOS! I was so excited. Within the BIOS, I'm able to navigate through well with mouse and keyboard and having no video/graphical hiccups.

However, while attempting to install Windows 7 (from DVD), I am experiencing a "freeze" at the very beginning of install at the "Install Windows 7" screen. The image displayed on the screen when it freezes is a blue background with a window containing drop down menus for language and time preferences. When attempting to input into the keyboard or utilize the mouse, I get no response on the monitor.

Being new to building PCs, I'm not too positive of all the ins and outs. I've done days of research, but I know I have a lot to learn. I've searched the forums for about 4 hours now while doing about an additional 4 hours of google research.

I've double and triple checked all of the cables and such. Do I start removing parts now to get it down to the barest I can? I have no on-board GPU so I must keep the video card on. Also, I'd imagine since I am booting from CD/DVD drive, I must keep that hooked up, as well as the HDD since that is where I'm installing. I have 2 x6GB of RAM, so maybe I take one out and try that, alternating each stick to see if there is a problem?

System Specs:

ASUS M5A97 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE w/stock cooler CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB GPU
8 GB DDR3 G. Skill RAM

Lite-ON OEM CD/DVD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Corsair Builder Series 500W PSU
Cooler Master Elite 310 Case

Using an ACER LED Monitor and Logitech USB Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo.

I appreciate any help as I am a complete noob here. Kinda in my boat without ANY paddles. Please toss me one!
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 6:46:15 AM

Have you waited long enough? On some motherboards the screen does freeze at this point while (I think) that Windows tries to sort out its resources.

This can take a long time and can also occur at two places in the installation setup. Try waiting up to half an hour to be sure. If after that time it still does not respond then I would suspect that you have memory problems, try running memtest86. Windows 7 is much more critical of memory than Windows XP.

Read this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14267-63-windows-free...

Score
November 11, 2011 7:08:50 AM

How would I run memtest86 without an OS though?
Score
Related resources
November 11, 2011 7:36:46 AM

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with those links you provided. Remember, I'm really new to all this stuff.

Currently, I'm trying to troubleshoot the memory sticks. Currently using 2x 4GB sticks that the BIOS had clocked to 1173MHz or something similar when the Ai Overclock Tuner was set to [MANUAL]. They are supposed to run at 1333MHz.

I'm not too familiar with the UFEI BIOS, so I don't know exactly how to do it, but when I set the Ai Overclock Tuner to [D.O.C.P.], the "DRAM O.C. Profile" adjusted the frequency to 1600MHz, which is the lowest setting. Underneath that, the "Memory Frequency" was also adjusted to 1600MHz, which I then was able to lower to 1333MHz. Even further, in the "DRAM Timing Control" menu, all of the timings seem to be correct (9-9-9-24). Also, the volts have always been at and are still 1.5V, which is what the sticks are supposed to run at.

I don't know if I'm doing this right or not. I'm just trying to figure out how this all works. What is the difference between the "DRAM O.C. Profile" and the "Memory Frequency?" The ASUS mobo guide does a poor job of explaining (for a noob like me).

All I know is that in the EZ Mode, the RAM now reads as having a frequency of 1333MHz. I just don't know if the higher setting of 1600MHz in "DRAM O.C. Profile" may be damaging to the sticks/system.

Also note, the system has been at the "freeze" screen for about 35 minutes now. Still the same.
Score
November 11, 2011 7:49:52 AM

So I've tried to boot from another DVD as a Windows 7 LIVE CD and am experiencing a similar "freeze." This time however, the CD boots everything, but as soon as the desktop loads where I should be able to use mouse and keyboard, nothing: frozen. I've tried this LIVE CD on my laptop (which is what I'm using right now), and it booted up fine to desktop, where I was able to input normally. This leads me to believe it must be something internally in my system (or within the BIOS settings).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 7:56:00 AM

OK can u reset the BIOS to the default setting? Do u have a MemOK switch on the mobo?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 7:57:24 AM

I see that u do have the switch. Does it pass, it should go red and than off in a few seconds.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:13:08 AM

The DRAM_LED light is not lit. When starting the system, it stays blinks red, then stays on for about 1 second. When it goes out, the speaker beeps and system posts.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 8:15:32 AM

OK, but reset BIOS to the default and try with 1 RAM stick only.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:24:37 AM

Okay I know this is stupid, and I'm looking through the manual now, but how do I reset the BIOS?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 8:26:00 AM

Look for reset pins. It is on the bottom.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:41:03 AM

Okay it's been reset but I cannot get this memory stick out. It will not budge! Was a pain getting it in there also.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 8:42:37 AM

O' boy : ) Do u have a clip on both sides or only one? That could be why.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:50:05 AM

There are clips on both sides.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 8:54:37 AM

On my ASUS its only on one side, on the right. It looks like its on both, its not though. Check if u can push them all dawn and RAM will rise up by itself.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:58:52 AM

I've literally been trying for about 20 minutes to no avail. Don't want to crack the motherboard. Don't know what to do at this point.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:01:39 AM

Okay I will try to push down on the clips to see if it rises.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:07:39 AM

Okay 1 stick is out. That was really easy. Thanks for the tip before I broke my motherboard!
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 9:11:00 AM

I was sweating here for u : )
November 11, 2011 9:11:34 AM

I've attempted to clear th RTC RAM data, but upon rebooting, it's asking me to recover BIOS settings instead of start fresh. The manual says to remove the onboard battery and then move the jumper. I have no idea where the battery is they are talking about or how to remove it. Any suggestions?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 9:13:11 AM

There is one battery in the lower portion. A silver one. Be careful, handle it with care.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:17:13 AM

I do not see the battery. What does it look like?
Score
November 11, 2011 9:18:22 AM

What is it located near rather? I do appreciate all your help up to this point. Thank you.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 9:21:42 AM

jessebob830 said:
What is it located near rather? I do appreciate all your help up to this point. Thank you.

Dio u see it next to the blue square?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 9:24:04 AM

Its size of a quarter. Silver too.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:28:48 AM

Yes okay thank you. I need to remove my video card to get to it. I would have never even noticed haha. I'll give that a go tomorrow. I need some shut eye. Is there a particular reason I need to reset the BIOS after I've taken out the RAM? Will I need to reset it again if the same problem keeps occurring with this single stick in order to try the other stick solo? Also, even though the manual suggests using slot A2, would it be at all beneficial to try it in another slot (say A1) in case there is a problem with the A2 slot itself?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 12:07:24 PM

No new reset : ) Going to sleep to.
Score
November 11, 2011 6:12:45 PM

Okay well I removed the battery, cleared the CMOS RTC RAM data, and rebooted. The system starts with the standard one beep, but will not allow me to boot into BIOS by pressing del. Instead I'm brought to a black screen with text where I can "recover" my BIOS by pressing F1. Isn't the point of all this to reset the BIOS completely? Don't know what to do at this point... suggestions welcome!
Score
November 11, 2011 6:38:18 PM

So I've now tried installing Windows 7 with a single stick of RAM in the recommended slot (A2). Tried both sticks individually, neither successful. Going to attempt each stick in slot A1, although BIOS is already clearly identifying each stick separately or together. Don't know if having in a different slot would have any impact at all (perhaps the slot is defective?)

Also, when running the Windows 7 Install on my laptop, everything boots up fine. Let's me get past where my desktop freezes up.

Is it possible to run the system and even install without any RAM? Will I need to check the RAM on another person's PC to determine if it's defective?
Score
November 12, 2011 6:31:30 AM

Got it to work. Wasn't actually experiencing freezing after all.

After trying multiple different "complex" routes with the guts of my PC, I realized something very simple, yet easily overlooked.

After the the Windows 7 Logo was loading and I was brought to the blue screen with the Install Windows window, there was no cursor present on my screen. Reading over ENDLESS other threads, I realized that some others were actually seeing the cursor load, but it was non responsive.

In another hopeless effort to resolve the issue, I randomly decided to remove my USB mouse (which was plugged into the Mobo). Instead of plugging it back into the same slot, I plugged it into the front of the case and viola! Why this would occur, I have no idea. It's insane it was such an easy fix after all the troubleshooting!

Thanks for the help! I've definitely gained a fair amount of knowledge about things I wouldn't have normally pursued learning about in such detail if this hadn't happened.
Score
November 12, 2011 6:34:03 AM

Best answer selected by jessebob830.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 6:37:48 AM

jessebob830 said:
Got it to work. Wasn't actually experiencing freezing after all.

After trying multiple different "complex" routes with the guts of my PC, I realized something very simple, yet easily overlooked.

After the the Windows 7 Logo was loading and I was brought to the blue screen with the Install Windows window, there was no cursor present on my screen. Reading over ENDLESS other threads, I realized that some others were actually seeing the cursor load, but it was non responsive.

In another hopeless effort to resolve the issue, I randomly decided to remove my USB mouse (which was plugged into the Mobo). Instead of plugging it back into the same slot, I plugged it into the front of the case and viola! Why this would occur, I have no idea. It's insane it was such an easy fix after all the troubleshooting!

Thanks for the help! I've definitely gained a fair amount of knowledge about things I wouldn't have normally pursued learning about in such detail if this hadn't happened.

Glad to see that u fixed that on your own : ) To move the USB devices to the different port was next...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 6:39:02 AM

Its often something small, that makes u nuts : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 6:39:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!