GTS 250 green?? New PSU? what should i get? :(

bahrwiz

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I'm about to change my old 9800gt GPU for a better card...I was thinking of GTS 250 green because it was the strongest card that doesnt have any supplementary cables...im scared of getting cards with supplementary cables coz they tend to get burn because of my PSU..(it sucks 500w only) so..should i get the GTS 250?? or buy a new PSU (what brand and how many watts) and get a better card (lets say ATi 4890).should i play safe and get it?? or risk and spend more?? :( please do help..

Solution
This will be fine for you. The same model can be found in the UK if you're not a US dweller.

If you were getting the GTS 250 green simply due to power saving features its really a bit of a moot point because a bad PSU will strain under a green or non-green 250 alike.

Its probably not what you want to hear, but go for the PSU option if it has to be one or the other. After that, save your money some more and get an upgraded card. At least with a better and well known PSU you can rest assured that an upgrade will be powered just fine.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It depends on what brand your PSU is. If its a fairly well known brand like Corsair, Antec, Seagate, Enermax etc then i'd say you're ok. But if its a cheapo unbranded one then i'd advice getting a new PSU alongside a new graphics card. GTS 250 will be fine working under a decent 500-500w PSU so long as thats the only GPU you'll be using, no SLI or crossfire.

bahrwiz

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

hmm..i was thinking if was gonna buy a new PSU then i woudnt get a GTS 250 anymore...because if was gonna get the GTS 250..i would be getting the "green" version from palit or inno...so..should i buy a new PSU?? i was planning on buying a Cougar 600w or Silverstone...i dont know..what's a decent PSU with a fair price?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
This will be fine for you. The same model can be found in the UK if you're not a US dweller.

If you were getting the GTS 250 green simply due to power saving features its really a bit of a moot point because a bad PSU will strain under a green or non-green 250 alike.

Its probably not what you want to hear, but go for the PSU option if it has to be one or the other. After that, save your money some more and get an upgraded card. At least with a better and well known PSU you can rest assured that an upgrade will be powered just fine.

Solution

bahrwiz

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
thanks man..i think im gonna get a new PSU...just to be on the safe side...at least i can still put games on high with my 9800gt...it doesnt hurt to wait for a new card :)..it'l come soon (hopefully lol)...i think im getting 600w corsair :)..thanks