Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

~$1500 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2010 4:12:48 AM

Tom's Hardware Denizens,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new gaming rig build. I've had my existing setup for about 5 years now, and it's gotten to the point where it's unbearably slow and won't even meet the minimum specs for most new games. I can't consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore, but I am still an enthusiast. I'm looking forward to Civ 5, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Fable 3, WoW: Cataclysm, FFXIV, and The Old Republic. I'm going to probably do some fairly light over clocking, but while I don't expect to be another 5 years before my next upgrade, I want to be fairly future ready.

As a bit of background, I've already got a case, Win7Ult (64bit), ODDs, and HDDs that I am pulling from my current rig - the 550w PSU unfortunately won't make it.

I live in the US, and will likely be doing the bulk of my ordering from NewEgg.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Intel Core i7-950 - $298*

*I'm also considering a i7-930, if I can find it significantly cheaper - on the egg it's only about $15 less.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 - $199*

*I've also looked at the ASUS P6X58D-E, thoughts?

G.Skill 6gb (3x2gb) - $154

ASUS ENGTX 460 x 2 - $458

Corsair HX CMPSU-1000HX - $229*

*Am I going a bit overboard here on the PSU?

I'd love to get your feedback!
Thanks,
-MrIncognito

More about : 1500 gaming rig

September 24, 2010 5:08:17 AM

Quote:
Tom's Hardware Denizens,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new gaming rig build. I've had my existing setup for about 5 years now, and it's gotten to the point where it's unbearably slow and won't even meet the minimum specs for most new games. I can't consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore, but I am still an enthusiast. I'm looking forward to Civ 5, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Fable 3, WoW: Cataclysm, FFXIV, and The Old Republic. I'm going to probably do some fairly light over clocking, but while I don't expect to be another 5 years before my next upgrade, I want to be fairly future ready.

As a bit of background, I've already got a case, Win7Ult (64bit), ODDs, and HDDs that I am pulling from my current rig - the 550w PSU unfortunately won't make it.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Intel Core i7-950 - $298*

*I'm also considering a i7-930, if I can find it significantly cheaper - on the egg it's only about $15 less.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 - $199*

*I've also looked at the ASUS P6X58D-E, thoughts?

G.Skill 6gb (3x2gb) - $154

ASUS ENGTX 460 x 2 - $458

Corsair HX CMPSU-1000HX - $229*

*Am I going a bit overboard here on the PSU?

I'd love to get your feedback!
Thanks,
-MrIncognito


The PSU is probably overkill but if your doing OCing, probably not too much. Here's a PSU from Corsair 50W less, Bronze Certified, and 90$ cheaper. It's not modular however, if that's important to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also if you're not a hardcore gamer anymore, why the 2 GTX 460s right off the bat? What resolution are you running? Personally I would stick w/ one until that was proven to be incapable then upgrade. Looks pretty sweet to me though!
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2010 5:24:21 AM

mgrzTX said:
The PSU is probably overkill but if your doing OCing, probably not too much. Here's a PSU from Corsair 50W less, Bronze Certified, and 90$ cheaper. It's not modular however, if that's important to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also if you're not a hardcore gamer anymore, why the 2 GTX 460s right off the bat? What resolution are you running? Personally I would stick w/ one until that was proven to be incapable then upgrade. Looks pretty sweet to me though!


Thanks for your reply mgrzTX. I'm going to be gaming at 1920x1080. Your idea of picking up the second GTX460 later sounds like a good one; I was debating putting it on my holiday list. I'm just really tired of crumby performance, and I enjoy shiny things and ultra-high settings. I guess giving it a shot can't hurt though.

In regards to the PSU, I love the price drop, but I yearn for the day I don't have to deal with all the rat's nest; modular is a must.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 7:52:47 AM

In that case I might lean towards a really top of the line say 850 W PSU (7 Year warranty, 80plus gold certified etc)...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Or a slightly cheaper, 1000W PSU...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or slightly cheaper, 850W PSU...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I personally own that 1000W PSU and it's been great for me so far. And Corsair always makes great PSUs. But, you only need the 1000W if you're going to crossfire and overclock. Of coarse, if you plan, or might do that in the future, the 1000W could be a wise investment.

And as far as I see it, Newegg gets you your stuff pretty quick, so worst case scenario, you build your rig w/ 1 GTX 460 and it's not up to snuff, so you order another one and plug her on in.
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 9:48:02 AM

460SLI+an i7 only pulls like 550 watts peak.
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 6:10:23 PM

Corsair 650 HX :) 

Other than that, GTX 460 1 gb you will want a second one soon I promise that.

For the motherboard, you can get the cheapest one, I've seen a saberthooth x58 board for 200$ canadian, which means probably 120$ us(jokinn) (probably 150-175$)

What is your computer case ?

If you have the money, I'd suggest go for a single GTX 480, that way, in 3 years, when you feel it doesn't reach what you had, you can go for a second one :)  Althought you'd need to buy that 1000 watts psu :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2010 6:16:50 PM

Quote:
Corsair 650 HX :) 

Other than that, GTX 460 1 gb you will want a second one soon I promise that.

For the motherboard, you can get the cheapest one, I've seen a saberthooth x58 board for 200$ canadian, which means probably 120$ us(jokinn) (probably 150-175$)

What is your computer case ?

If you have the money, I'd suggest go for a single GTX 480, that way, in 3 years, when you feel it doesn't reach what you had, you can go for a second one :)  Althought you'd need to buy that 1000 watts psu :) 


abswindows7: I've got a Lian Li PC-6077B Mid-ATX case which has been incredibly solid for all the years I've owned it. In terms of the GTX480 vs the GTX460 x2, I've struggled with this debate for a while. The only thing is, if past trends hold true, if I don't do SLi within the first few months, I'll likely never do it. This makes me lean towards the two GTX460s which will offer a little better performance in many games for around the same price.

I'm curious about the lower wattage PSU recommendations; the NewEgg PSU calculator consistently recommends about 850+ regardless of my build. This is often mirrored by enthusiasts on the forums. Though I have had a number of recommendations for a lower wattage option too. Why the dichotomy of opinions?

Quote:
And as far as I see it, Newegg gets you your stuff pretty quick, so worst case scenario, you build your rig w/ 1 GTX 460 and it's not up to snuff, so you order another one and plug her on in.


Thanks mgrzTX, I think you're right. Noobish question, when I add the second card, Win7 won't require anything besides a few tweaks within the Nvidia utilities, correct?

In terms of the memory, has anyone had experience with the G.Skill option I'm looking at? Originally I was looking at some Corsair dominator memory (link), but the lower voltage G.Skill seems to fall more in line with Intel's spec. recommendations and will likely OC better, won't it?

m
0
l
September 25, 2010 6:34:07 PM

Because the majority of '850+' watt PSUs are just re-labelled junk 600 watt units. People are very reluctant to spend money on a good PSU as it's not the most flashy part of a new computer build.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/181 That's with an overclocked i7, pulls 528 watts in an unrealistic Furmark load. A good 650 watt will cover GPU overclocking and degradation, while a 750 provides complete piece of mind.

These would be my picks in descending order:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RE: ram: That corsair sucks, overpriced, 1.65 voltage, and only CAS 8. The G.skill PI series is not only cheaper, but lower voltage and faster. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On a partially related note, RAM overclocking makes very little sense. Realworld apps only gain fractions of a percent performance with ram past 1600 CAS 7, and CAS 9 has 99% of the performance. Where ram comes into play is in having low-voltage so that the CPU's memory controller doesn't have to work as hard, giving you a higher possible CPU overclock.
m
0
l
September 26, 2010 3:27:20 AM

PI series are FTW

2200 mhx look for that package.

I'm runing those at 7-9-7-24 2000mhz !!! ITS FAST 7.9 in Windows benchmark :) 

Even if windows benchmark means almost nothing.
m
0
l
!