Sign in with
Your question

Help with office computer

Last response: in Memory
August 15, 2011 4:03:37 PM

Hi I need help with upgrading some of my office computers.

I have five old computers to upgrade but don't want to replace.
I figured upgrading the ram would help the performance.
These office computers are mainly used to webbrowse, email, and upload photos (Real Estate Listings)

I have analyzed all five and they are they following
1. Dell Dimension 2400 - Intel Pent 4 - DDR -512 RAM - 2 Slots (1 Used)
2. IBM NetVista S42 8319 - Pentium 4 - DDR - 512 RAM- 2 slots used
3. Dell Dimension 3100 - Int Pent 4 3.0 GHZ - DDR2 - 512 MB- 2 Slots (1 Slot used)
4. DEll Optiplex GX270 - Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHZ - DDR -512 MB- 4 SLOTS (1 Slot Used)
5. IBM Thinkcentre 8183 - DDR- 512 MB- 2 SLOTS (1 USED)

I have some questions
1. Do you recommend upgrading ram at all or is the speed negligible? If I upgrade which one do you recommend to upgrade or which one do you not?
2. Does upgrading to 1.5 GB ram make a huge difference? Is it a better deal to upgrade to 1.5 GB instead of 2GB ?

More about : office computer

August 17, 2011 10:38:34 AM

you will notice more of an increase in speed of you just max out the memory on all of those machines. since they are old tech, chances are most wont support more than 2 gigs of memory tops.

you could probably get a sweet deal locally on a bulk order. might even find some good deals on newegg, though the DDR will cost more since its the oldest tech.

what exactly do you use these computers for? email, internet, word processing?

if its just used in a retail environment for day-to-day stuff, id go with upgrading the memory. if youre doing something thats more graphic/processor intensive (image design, etc etc), id upgrade the computers and sell the old ones to offset the cost.
m
l
August 17, 2011 2:43:53 PM

Thank you for the reply. I just ordered 1GB of ram for all of the computers. I am currently wondering if mix and matching 1.5 GB is a problem or not?
As for the usage of computers- they are for email internet and word processing and uploading photos
day to day stuff
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2011 3:11:21 PM

i would say thats probably all you need to do. its doubtful any of those machines support dual channel memory. the ones that do, try to pair up the memory on those. the others, it really doesnt matter much so long as the clock speeds arent too far apart. most higher clocked memory will clock a few cycles lower (example: ddr2 6400 will clock down to 5300), but nothing tremendously different (ddr2 800 wont clock to ddr 200 for example)
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 17, 2011 3:35:17 PM

You should calculate how many work hours are lost per Week, Month, and Year then calculate the costs of replacement. You will Quickly find replacement with even the MOST BASIC CURRENT PC = SAVINGS!!! Typical PC older than 3 years = file 13. Not to mention risk of data loss.

Example:
$10/hr, 45+ minutes lost/week, 49 weeks for 3 years:
$10*0.75*49*3= $1102.50 minimum!

If the DDR old and new are the SAME EXACT Frequency, CAS Timings, Type and Voltage then you're good otherwise buy the SAME EXACT 1GB for each system for a total of 2GB.

My wife used to think like you do until I helped her quadruple here income, work less but smart by making good choices of her time management and maximizing resources; de Ville -> SL in a year.
m
l
August 17, 2011 3:55:30 PM

jaquith said:
You should calculate how many work hours are lost per Week, Month, and Year then calculate the costs of replacement. You will Quickly find replacement with even the MOST BASIC CURRENT PC = SAVINGS!!! Typical PC older than 3 years = file 13. Not to mention risk of data loss.

Example:
$10/hr, 45+ minutes lost/week, 49 weeks for 3 years:
$10*0.75*49*3= $1102.50 minimum!

If the DDR old and new are the SAME EXACT Frequency, CAS Timings, Type and Voltage then you're good otherwise buy the SAME EXACT 1GB for each system for a total of 2GB.

My wife used to think like you do until I helped her quadruple here income, work less but smart by making good choices of her time management and maximizing resources; de Ville -> SL in a year.

unless the pcs in question have required consistant maintenance (in which case they should have been replaced), there's not many work hours to lose if the computers are always working, right? data loss i can agree with also. the hard drives should be replaced every 2-4 years, tops, depending on how much and often theyre written too.

re: ddr memory.

this is not entirely true. for optimal performance, i agree, matched sets should be used. however, most ddr/ddr2 sticks(if not all) have more than one clock speed and timing setting. voltage has to be the same also. type? well yeah you cant exactly pair ddr with ddr2, thats just a given.

re: your wifes income..

unless the OP is going to quadruple his income by upgrading his older tech.. im not sure how that was relevant, but good job? from what the OP has posted, im not sure how cost-effective it would be to replace 5 computers that are used for web browsing and photo uploading.

the only thing to truly be concerned with (since its real estate) would be customer data and client listings. these can be backed up to an external hard drive and dont require replacing a computer to do so.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 17, 2011 4:17:55 PM

An Intel Pentium 4 in today's workplace is crazy, slower than hell and trust me aggravates the hell out of the OP's employees and the clients.

No, I know exactly how DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 works and how it doesn't. Mix-matched DDR may show-up but not work properly ie Apps won't load or fail.

MY WIFE IS A FRIGGING REALTOR! I know EXACTLY what's going on it their office. S-L-O-W and lost income. Hell I started as a Developer & Builder, then owned a RE/MAX Office and later a Mortgage Company. I sold my office and retired when I was 35! I own 97 rental homes that I built. Now I own an REO/IDX/Tax data center. My wife was top 100 in the World in RE/MAX, her income was $125 then before we sold-out $800K/year. A few years back I got in the mood in to be a Broker-Associate and listed 160+ properties from 0 in a year going on 450+ Listing Appointments. My wife screwing around, part-time'ish, is making $500K/yr.

I post here for 'fun.'

My wife fought me tooth and nail to get a FAX & Copier in my house. It seems CrAzY to drive to the office to copy/fax. SO YEAH I 'GET' the OP!
m
l
August 17, 2011 4:49:17 PM

jaquith said:
An Intel Pentium 4 in today's workplace is crazy, slower than hell and trust me aggravates the hell out of the OP's employees and the clients.

No, I know exactly how DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 works and how it doesn't. Mix-matched DDR may show-up but not work properly ie Apps won't load or fail.

MY WIFE IS A FRIGGING REALTOR! I know EXACTLY what's going on it their office. S-L-O-W and lost income. Hell I started as a Developer & Builder, then owned a RE/MAX Office and later a Mortgage Company. I sold my office and retired when I was 35! I own 97 rental homes that I built. Now I own an REO/IDX/Tax data center. My wife was top 100 in the World in RE/MAX, her income was $125 then before we sold-out $800K/year. A few years back I got in the mood in to be a Broker-Associate and listed 160+ properties from 0 in a year going on 450+ Listing Appointments. My wife screwing around, part-time'ish, is making $500K/yr.

I post here for 'fun.'

My wife fought me tooth and nail to get a FAX & Copier in my house. It seems CrAzY to drive to the office to copy/fax. SO YEAH I 'GET' the OP!

clients should have no interaction with an office pc.

that being said, i simply cannot respond to you. my advice to the OP is to look up the data i have presented and draw your own conclusions. identical sets is preferred, but on a budget, running mismatched sets (so long as they both have compatible clock speeds, voltage requirements) isnt going to cause your apps to mysteriously crash or stop working. YMMV though.

ps - i agree that p4s are slow as molasses. however the OP said he was using them for day to day web surfing, email, photo uploads. im unframiliar with realtor-type software, so my knowledge of how much memory they would require is limited to google. i cant see them using more than half a gig, if even that. YMMV also
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 17, 2011 6:00:44 PM

The Clients aren't, typically, standing over your back leering at your PC. Instead, they call and call ... call some more and want snappy answers and information. Waiting for your PC to access the info or worst open/closing {multitasking} Data Sources is slow. They haven't figured-out how to consolidate their information.

Most MLS's use a complex ActiveX in 'Internet Exploder' and it really slows things down. Large email attachments, PDF files, and IF the OP has any resemblance of organization either a good CRM solution or some form of organizational database(s). However, in my long experience with Realtors and Brokers they are poorly time managed and suffer from poor technology.

Good technology, in part, yields to greater production. Problem since 'most' Realtors & Brokers are 'poor' they're stuck in a hole of mediocrity. Top causes - scared of the telephone, disorganized, and bad time management. One simple example - I designed a database many years ago to handle and create all of or advertising; you put the data in once and it spewed-out the finished 'Homes Magazine', 'Newspaper', 'Information Sheets', etc in seconds verses hours of staff time. Later it was expanded into a full CRM, all in one, data source.

I'm posting this stuff not to argue with 'XennoTech' but to hopefully motivate the OP.
m
l
!