CPU overheating P5Q Deluxe Q9450

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2010 6:34:44 AM

Hello,
I have configured a PC with-
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz Processor,
2x2 GB Corsair RAM,
Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard.

My question is that from few days my PC is behaving abnormally. It automatically turned off after working for few minutes.
I updated the BIOS version using Asus EZ Flash2(Pre-integrated with the motherboard)to 2301 to rectify this issue but still this problem continued.
Then to check my hardware i installed PC Probe as it was packaged with my Motherboard and found my CPU heating and the default temperature is set to 65 degree Celsius.
*NOTE:- I have now set my BIOS settings to default but still the problem exist.
-Do i have to make any changes in BIOS settings or i have to install any new BIOS settings.
-Do i have to install some new hardware like HEAT SINK or LIQUID COOLERS.
*NOTE:-See its almost more than 2 years i have configured the system.

---------------- *** NOTE ***----------------

While starting the PC its showing me the error, just before the booting....
CPU over Temperature Error
Press F1 to resume

Then something like this writes on screen and then booting starts.....
Checking NVRAM...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2010 7:34:55 AM

I assume that you are using the stock HSF that come wit hthe processor ? if so then there is a very good chance on of the stupid plastic push pin connectors is not locked in place. Most people use a third party HSF in its place (preferably one with a back plate) - they dont have to be expensive either. Try looking for Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro - recently updated and performs quieter and better than the intel rubbsh
December 19, 2010 7:39:06 AM

May be it software problem.
Related resources
December 19, 2010 7:55:24 AM

JohnCena83 said:
May be it software problem.

Hey thanks 4 replying, It might had happened, because for that i reinstalled my OS with basic drivers and software and alongside i updated my BIOS to 2301 also and finally my PC has started more weird and still the same problem exists.......I think it might be an BIOS update problem or Do i change my OS(Windows XP 64bit) but this problem never happened before as i am using this from past 2 years.
December 19, 2010 8:00:05 AM

ulysses35 said:
I assume that you are using the stock HSF that come wit hthe processor ? if so then there is a very good chance on of the stupid plastic push pin connectors is not locked in place. Most people use a third party HSF in its place (preferably one with a back plate) - they dont have to be expensive either. Try looking for Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro - recently updated and performs quieter and better than the intel rubbsh

Thanks for replying, So according to you its hardware issue and i should change my CPU cooler, and YES i am using the same INTEL pre-allotted CPU cooler provided with my Core 2 Quad Q9450 Processor.
Secondaly, Do "Arctic" company sell their product in INDIA, because i have not seen anyone of them in my nearest market.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2010 8:55:32 AM

the std cooler is OK, especially for the first 30s. but the push pins need to pushed in properly, you will worry that you are bending the mobo but that is normal. It is harder than it should be. No cooler may lead to the problem you are seeing, and bad pushpin fit is effectively no cooler.
December 19, 2010 1:08:31 PM

13thmonkey said:
the std cooler is OK, especially for the first 30s. but the push pins need to pushed in properly, you will worry that you are bending the mobo but that is normal. It is harder than it should be. No cooler may lead to the problem you are seeing, and bad pushpin fit is effectively no cooler.

Hey 13thMonkey, Thanks for helping me, i didn't get you properly, do you mean that i have not adjusted the Cooler over the CPU | Means the cooler of CPU pins are not perfectly inserted onto motherboard?
Otherwise also if you mean that i'll check and give you further details......PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME SOLVING THIS....

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2010 5:59:27 PM

the pins need to be pushed through the holes in the mobo, it is very common and easy to not get them pushed all the way through. At which point there would be low pressure contact between the cpu and the heat sink, which would show up as over heating.

Looking from underneath you are looking for all 4 pins to have the arrow heads pushed through so that they have opened up again.

however even with a badly fitted hsf I would expect that you could get into bios.

How exactl does the issue present itself?
December 20, 2010 3:40:01 AM

Brother actually, i usually clean up my CPU components....might be it happened and as you said i checked the pins and they are properly inserted.
December 30, 2010 3:41:26 AM

Best answer selected by abhi_shukla.
December 30, 2010 3:42:28 AM

13thmonkey said:
the pins need to be pushed through the holes in the mobo, it is very common and easy to not get them pushed all the way through. At which point there would be low pressure contact between the cpu and the heat sink, which would show up as over heating.

Looking from underneath you are looking for all 4 pins to have the arrow heads pushed through so that they have opened up again.

however even with a badly fitted hsf I would expect that you could get into bios.

How exactl does the issue present itself?

Thanks for replying me brother, your solution actually helped me.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 12:27:45 PM

no probs, very very common problem, some people seem to have forgotten about it though, was nearly always put forward as the first solution 24 months ago.
!