Moding party member's classes?

Daniel

What would be the bad effects if I used a saved game editor to do something
like make Minsc a mage of some kind? (I could say his insanity is actually
from being too smart....the "genius borders insanity" belief)? Would the
game freak out over it? What if I wanted Arie in BG2 to be a fighter or
ranger or assassin or something like that? I'd like to do this in both BG1
& BG2 (expansions on both) though I'm about half way through BG1 so wont do
it this time.

--

Daniel danielhw@mail.com

--

There are 10 types of people in this world...
....those that understand binary & those that don't.

Daniel wrote:

> What would be the bad effects if I used a saved game editor to do something
> like make Minsc a mage of some kind? (I could say his insanity is actually
> from being too smart....the "genius borders insanity" belief)? Would the
> game freak out over it? What if I wanted Arie in BG2 to be a fighter or
> ranger or assassin or something like that? I'd like to do this in both BG1
> & BG2 (expansions on both) though I'm about half way through BG1 so wont do
> it this time.

Their lines will speak of their official classes, but the game won't
crash or anything like that.

Daniel

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Daniel wrote:
>
> > What would be the bad effects if I used a saved game editor to do
something
> > like make Minsc a mage of some kind? (I could say his insanity is
actually
> > from being too smart....the "genius borders insanity" belief)? Would
the
> > game freak out over it? What if I wanted Arie in BG2 to be a fighter or
> > ranger or assassin or something like that? I'd like to do this in both
BG1
> > & BG2 (expansions on both) though I'm about half way through BG1 so wont
do
> > it this time.
>
> Their lines will speak of their official classes, but the game won't
> crash or anything like that.

What do you mean by "their lines will speak of their official classes"? You
mean the pre-recorded voices for them? What about changing Jaheira's class?
Will she still be able to do the druid quest? (dont you think Minsc would
make a great mage?)

Daniel wrote:
> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>Daniel wrote:
>>

>>>What would be the bad effects if I used a saved game editor to do
>
> something
>
>>>like make Minsc a mage of some kind? (I could say his insanity is
>
> actually
>
>>>from being too smart....the "genius borders insanity" belief)? Would
>
> the
>
>>>game freak out over it? What if I wanted Arie in BG2 to be a fighter or
>>>ranger or assassin or something like that? I'd like to do this in both
>
> BG1
>
>>>& BG2 (expansions on both) though I'm about half way through BG1 so wont
>
> do
>
>>>it this time.
>>
>>Their lines will speak of their official classes, but the game won't
>>crash or anything like that.
>>

> What do you mean by "their lines will speak of their official classes"?

I mean Aerie will talk about being a wizard and a cleric of Baervar, not
about being a warrior. Minsc will shout about hamsters and rangers
rejoicing, not hamsters and wizards.

Ragnar

"Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
> What would be the bad effects if I used a saved game editor to do
something
> like make Minsc a mage of some kind? (I could say his insanity is actually
> from being too smart....the "genius borders insanity" belief)? Would the
> game freak out over it? What if I wanted Arie in BG2 to be a fighter or
> ranger or assassin or something like that? I'd like to do this in both
BG1
> & BG2 (expansions on both) though I'm about half way through BG1 so wont
do
> it this time.

I've used Shadowkeeper several times to do that. Sometimes I make Jaheria a
regular Druid, sometimes Aerie becomes a single-class wizard, etc. I
occasionally make Viconia Neutral or Good in alignment just for kicks (and
so I can keep her in the party at times), but she still talks like the Evil
Drow we all love.

Makes no difference whatsoever to the game engine. A pure fighter Jaheira
can still do the druid quest, the only difference is that dialogue options
remain as they were originally scripted.

Go ahead, have fun.