• Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 25, 2010 12:31:21 PM

Hi
Router D-link DSL-2740R

I have just got this laptop second hand and i can't connect through wireless.
I choose network ( my router) and then enter the password key,it startsconnecting then just goes back to choose a network screen. It does'nt connect. Also i don't know if the wireless button is switched on or not. Nothing lights up, i don't know if there is a combination of keys you have to press to get it working or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please explain in simple terms as i don't know computer terms etc

Thankyou

More about : acer travelmate 240 wireless problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 25, 2010 1:59:03 PM

I'd get the manual for the laptop -- you can probably download it from the Acer site. This should show how to turn on the wireless -- it'll be a dedicated switch on the case side or an Fn key combination.

m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 26, 2010 10:56:51 AM

I've had a look at the manual online and i can't see anything regarding the wireless button. Tried pressing the Fn with the wireless button and nothing happens.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 26, 2010 11:26:18 AM

Go Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if anything is listed for Networking that mentions wireless.

If you can locate a button or switch on the case that has no other obvious function try toggling it and see if the results in Device Manager show a wireless device after a Refresh.

Might have another look at the Acer site for a product spec for the laptop to see if wireless was fitted as standard (sometimes an option on older machines).
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 26, 2010 12:28:22 PM

Can't see anything. This laptop works with friends routers though so i don't know if there is something wrong with the router.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 26, 2010 12:53:38 PM

Okay, so the wireless is working already !

Is the wireless signal from the router strong enough ? Are there neighbouring wifi systems on channels less than five stops away from your channel ?

Also read the literature which came with your router and have a look at the wireless mode settings -- mixed mode is usually a safe bet. Is Access List activated (that's the security feature which excludes/includes users by the MAC ID unique to the wireless adapter) -- disable it.

Temporarily disable wireless security (WPA TKIP PSK) until you get a reliable connection.
m
l