AMD...dual-Channel memory only (still)

Brechan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Why is it; that with all the new innovations coming out with AMD, that their motherboards (still) are limited to dual-channel memory.
Why can't (or won't) they manufacture boards with triple-channel memory?

Solution
Memory bandwidth right now is not a bottleneck for the vast majority of people. A lot of folks seem to be on the fast memory bandwagon these days, buying the fastest rated memory they can find, going with the triple channel kits, buying memory rated for 2000mhz, etc. while you do get improved benchmark numbers, the actual improvement you see in real life is very small, hardly noticeable or worth the money you will spend. It's mostly marketing hype to get you to spend money on something you don't need.
Do you know that by default Phenom processors don't run memory in dual channel mode, and for most purposes this way is even faster than forcing the memory into dual channel mode? (this is the ganged/unganged setting in the BIOS on AMD boards)

ulysses35

Distinguished
To be honest I cant see a huge performance increase using my i7-920 which runs triple channel over my old E8500. Admittedly this may be purely down to softWARE NOT using all the cores on the CPU let alone the extra memory bandwidth offered by a third or even fourth memory channel.

Memory bandwidth right now is not a bottleneck for the vast majority of people. A lot of folks seem to be on the fast memory bandwagon these days, buying the fastest rated memory they can find, going with the triple channel kits, buying memory rated for 2000mhz, etc. while you do get improved benchmark numbers, the actual improvement you see in real life is very small, hardly noticeable or worth the money you will spend. It's mostly marketing hype to get you to spend money on something you don't need.
Do you know that by default Phenom processors don't run memory in dual channel mode, and for most purposes this way is even faster than forcing the memory into dual channel mode? (this is the ganged/unganged setting in the BIOS on AMD boards)

Solution