Sign in with
Your question

PC suddenly not booting / no display (<6months old)

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2010 9:59:13 AM

Hi all,

Last night I shutdown my PC (built by myself about 6months ago) to watch a movie with the g/f.

Tried to it boot up 2hrs later and got no display, no lights illuminated on my mobo and no mobo error beeps, also no power to my usb devices (iphone/keyboard etc).

All my fans spin (13 through a fan controller), can hear my hdds spinning, and my gpu fans are spinning.

Specs are;

Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Mobo (Rev 1.0) - latest bios
x4 965 (@ 4.0ghz) Megahalems w/ push pull S-flex Gs
8gb Ripjaws 1600mhz
Sapphire 5850 w/ Accelero Twin Turbo Pro (775/1125)
1tb Samsung F3 Storage Drive / 500gb 7200.12 Backup / 64gb G.Skill Falcon II SSD Boot Drive
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
HAF 932 (with all 120mm S-flex Gs - Scythe Fan Controller)
Essence STX Audio w/ HD555s , G15 Keyboard / Sidewinder x8 Mouse / 24" 1200p Samsung Screen
Corsair Hx-850 psu

Nothing is more than a year old - and all overclocks are 100% stable. Have had these settings for 6months with no bsod and stable prime95 for 12hrs 40oC max cpu temp. GPU/mobo/hdd temps all crazy low too - monitored via everest ultimate to my G15 screen. PC is dust free as i've got demciflex filters, and the PSU spits out pure cold air as its barely under load with this system.

Have never had a problem with this pc at all untill this - and the problem happened so suddenly while shutdown? Hadn't opened the case / moved it or added anything in over a month. Also no power surges or anything weird like that.

I've reseated the gpu, reset the cmos and tried my onboard video incase gpu has died, check all cable connections to hdds / mobo, psu etc and nothing has come loose. Checked for no shorts (from extra standoffs etc). Will test my screen with my g/fs lappy as soon as I can find an analog cable, and will grab a friends gpu if anybody thinks gpu could still be the problem??

I'm thinking though that the problem is either my motherboard or PSU?

Would really appreciate any advice from anyone on what my problem could be. Would like to narrow down whats wrong before I deal with any RMAs as I really can't afford to have my PC out of action.

Thanks!
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
September 24, 2010 10:49:52 AM

Why do you have 13 fans? You do know that one of them could be your problem?

First step, remove anything you don't need to boot the system.

Second step, remove all the overclocks.

If it is still not booting, it's time for some serious troubleshooting.

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
September 24, 2010 12:43:50 PM

Jsc,

Thanks for the quick reply - I had taken a look at the standard checklist however it seemed to be mostly geared around to new builds - rather than one that has suddenly died. I understand this site must get swamped with problems like mine and appreciately greatly your help.

However, I followed as you said and booted with just cpu/cooler/speaker & psu and was able to get long single beeps - i.e memory problem. Inserted ram and got the gpu beep pattern so inserted that and was able to get it to post.

It turns out (well I believe - through elimination) that my SSD has died - if it is connected to the mobo at all I get no beeps & no display. Have tried it connected to other power leads / with a new sata cable / diff mobo sata input to ensure that wasn't the issue too. With everything else connected (incl my other 2 mechanical drives) except the SSD I can post and get to 'boot from drive failed' - as expected since i've got no boot drive connected.

This would have been the last thing id expect given my symptoms - I thought if your boot drive failed you'd get the 'boot from drive failed' error rather than nothing at all???? (Have never had this happen in all my years)

Can you advise whether you think this is weird? Could I possibly have some strange virus/worm which renders my PC unbootable with the SSD connected? Or is this just what you should expect when your boot drive fails?

I keep my malware/AV programs fully up to date (every 2-3 days updates / full scans), always keep windows up to date so I'm leaning to a drive failure. As I assume the virus if it was this sophisticated it would have jumped to my other 2 mechanical drives aswell - but I don't have any boot problems with those ones connected.

If its likely a drive failure then thats a relief - as I'm fully backed up and will simply buy a new Vertex 2 tomorrow and get my PC back on the road (and sell the replacement GSkill Falcon when I receive it).

Thanks for your help

*edit - nothing wrong with 13 fans (all 120mms 2 cpu, 1 rear, 2 front, 1 bottom, 3 top, 4 side) - all silent fans running low RPM through fan controller :)  silly yes, but MUCH quieter for better performance than the stock 230mms) *
m
l
!