Sign in with
Your question

Which Z68 mobo to get for audio & multi display

Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2011 9:02:13 PM

I need some advice on which Z68 mobo to go with my i5 2500k?

My budget is approx £150-200 depending on whether I need a graphics card or not.

Will be looking at least 3 to 4 USB 3.0 & SATA 3 ports for future proofing & want to be able to have 2 screens running my applications.

Multi displays: 19" monitor as a side screen & a 32" LED tv for main control screen (audio sequencing) if this is possible?

I don't need it for 3D gaming graphics...

Also,

would like to have my main audio applications (ableton live, cubase, NI maschine) including windows 7 running off a 60gb ssd as I believe this increases performance.

So my main concern is to get the best mobo for my audio needs and ssd for boot up & main applications.

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on my future proofing audio needs.

Thanks,
August 15, 2011 10:19:05 PM

Here's my shortlist that I've been looking at, hope this makes it easier?

Asrock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel HD Auido ATX Motherboard £200

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard £148

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Socket 1155 onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £145

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Socket 1155 onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £160

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Z68 Socket 1155 HDMI Onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £160

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD Z68 Socket 1155 HDMI Onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard with 20GB SLC SSD Onboard £200

MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) Z68 Socket 1155 8 channel audio ATX Motherbard £177

MSI Z68A-GD65 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £150

August 16, 2011 7:42:58 AM

Cheers guys for the input.

I didnt even know about Gen 3 motherboards, just been focusing on Z68 & not realising Gen 3.

Depending on the launch date & price, I will wait for the extreme 7 and if thats too expensive will go for the extreme 4.

This might sound like a stupid question but can I just plug my 2 displays straight into the motherboard and it will recognise the 2 monitors, so I can set different screen resolution?

Also, is it easy to set up a ssd for boot up & do I connect it like a hard drive or is it fixed to the motherboard like the 20gb one supplied with the Gigabyte?

Related resources
August 16, 2011 2:58:02 PM

I contacted ASRock recently as I am also waiting for the Extreme7 Gen3 to release and they told me it will be on newegg.com this week, so I am checking it daily, but I am sure that it will be pricey.

Quote:
This might sound like a stupid question but can I just plug my 2 displays straight into the motherboard and it will recognise the 2 monitors, so I can set different screen resolution?

This depends on the motherboard really. The i5 does have built in video and the Z68 series supports it. I believe all the Z68 motherboards that have the dual monitor connections do support two monitors. Do you know what resolutions you will be running on your monitors? I don't know if any certain resolutions are required for your work but the integrated graphics will probably be limited as to the resolutions it can push out efficiently.

Also, just a thought, but for the audio work you are doing would hyper-threading benefit you? The reason I ask is because the i5 does not support it, but the i7 does.
August 16, 2011 6:49:01 PM

Quote:
Also, just a thought, but for the audio work you are doing would hyper-threading benefit you? The reason I ask is because the i5 does not support it, but the i7 does.

I would like to get the i7 but its out of my price range, I've already gone out of my original budget because my spec was too low.

The more I educate myself with cpu's & mobo's, the more I wanted the next one up each time but now I have to draw the line around the £300 mark for a cpu & mobo.

!