Which Z68 mobo to get for audio & multi display

I need some advice on which Z68 mobo to go with my i5 2500k?

My budget is approx £150-200 depending on whether I need a graphics card or not.

Will be looking at least 3 to 4 USB 3.0 & SATA 3 ports for future proofing & want to be able to have 2 screens running my applications.

Multi displays: 19" monitor as a side screen & a 32" LED tv for main control screen (audio sequencing) if this is possible?

I don't need it for 3D gaming graphics...

Also,

would like to have my main audio applications (ableton live, cubase, NI maschine) including windows 7 running off a 60gb ssd as I believe this increases performance.

So my main concern is to get the best mobo for my audio needs and ssd for boot up & main applications.

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on my future proofing audio needs.

Thanks,
4 answers Last reply
More about which mobo audio multi display
  1. Here's my shortlist that I've been looking at, hope this makes it easier?

Asrock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel HD Auido ATX Motherboard £200

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard £148

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Socket 1155 onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £145

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Socket 1155 onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £160

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Z68 Socket 1155 HDMI Onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £160

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD Z68 Socket 1155 HDMI Onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard with 20GB SLC SSD Onboard £200

MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) Z68 Socket 1155 8 channel audio ATX Motherbard £177

MSI Z68A-GD65 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £150
  2. Cheers guys for the input.

I didnt even know about Gen 3 motherboards, just been focusing on Z68 & not realising Gen 3.

Depending on the launch date & price, I will wait for the extreme 7 and if thats too expensive will go for the extreme 4.

This might sound like a stupid question but can I just plug my 2 displays straight into the motherboard and it will recognise the 2 monitors, so I can set different screen resolution?

Also, is it easy to set up a ssd for boot up & do I connect it like a hard drive or is it fixed to the motherboard like the 20gb one supplied with the Gigabyte?
  3. I contacted ASRock recently as I am also waiting for the Extreme7 Gen3 to release and they told me it will be on newegg.com this week, so I am checking it daily, but I am sure that it will be pricey.

Quote:
    This might sound like a stupid question but can I just plug my 2 displays straight into the motherboard and it will recognise the 2 monitors, so I can set different screen resolution?

This depends on the motherboard really. The i5 does have built in video and the Z68 series supports it. I believe all the Z68 motherboards that have the dual monitor connections do support two monitors. Do you know what resolutions you will be running on your monitors? I don't know if any certain resolutions are required for your work but the integrated graphics will probably be limited as to the resolutions it can push out efficiently.

Also, just a thought, but for the audio work you are doing would hyper-threading benefit you? The reason I ask is because the i5 does not support it, but the i7 does.
  4. Quote:
    Also, just a thought, but for the audio work you are doing would hyper-threading benefit you? The reason I ask is because the i5 does not support it, but the i7 does.

I would like to get the i7 but its out of my price range, I've already gone out of my original budget because my spec was too low.

The more I educate myself with cpu's & mobo's, the more I wanted the next one up each time but now I have to draw the line around the £300 mark for a cpu & mobo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Audio Product