Subnotebook comparison?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 31, 2004 5:42:29 PM

I played around with one of the new Sony T- series subnotebooks in Best Buy
the other day. Cute, tempting to get one. Seems to have most of the features
of a larger notebook, including built-in CD-RW/DVD drive (possible to get
with CDRW-DVDRW drive as well) (more convenient than having to carry around
the drive separate and connect via USB), USB and Firewire ports, PC card
slot, etc. I forget all the details. Of course, the trade-offs are small
screen, and small keyboard. And higher price for the same features as a
lower costing larger notebook! (The screen was quite readable though, and
the keyboard quite usable. I just played with it a few minutes though.)

Tempting to start thinking of getting such a small subnotebook sometime in
the future though. Utmost in portability, short of a PDA (or the new oQo,
but there are a lot of trade-offs to that!), while still having all
functions. I doubt one could get one of these for less than $2000 now, but
perhaps the prices will go down with time.

There are other companies that make these small subnotebooks as well,
although this was the only one at Best Buy. Fujitsu, for example, Sharp
Actius, I don't recall which others.

Anyone here used one of these sub-sub-notebooks? Comments? Anyone tried more
than one, and could compare their advantages and disadvantages? Anyone know
of a comparative review of them on the web?

Thanks to anyone who cares to join this discussion, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO
ALL!

More about : subnotebook comparison

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 10:13:13 PM

> Anyone here used one of these sub-sub-notebooks? Comments? Anyone
> tried more than one, and could compare their advantages and
> disadvantages? Anyone know of a comparative review of them on the web?

I've had several (no Sonys) and they've been cute but not all that
pleasant to use. The Toshiba Libretto 50ct was just too small.
Hitachi Visionbook Traveler a/k/a Thinkpad 235 was quite a bit nicer,
though somewhat obsolete by the time I got it, and I never got around
to installing Linux. Thinkpad 240 was kind of nice but had a hardware
failure before I had a chance to use it much.

Right now I'm using a Thinkpad X40 and like it a lot. It's a touch
under 3 pounds, supposedly the smallest subnotebook with a full sized
keyboard. Really it feels like using a full sized notebook. I missed
my A20p's 15 inch screen at first, but have gotten used to the X40's
smaller screen. However, this is about as small as I'd want a general
purpose notebook to be. If smaller machines were cheap enough, sure
I'd buy one, but I'd use it more as an overgrown PDA.

I don't feel much need for an internal cd/dvd any more. With usb2, an
external drive works just fine. Main use of an internal drive would
be to watch dvd's on the road, but I'm not into that.

I've heard that changing the OS in any current Sony machine is very
difficult because of some kind of restriction Sony built into the BIOS
or something, but I don't know details. I'd certainly check on that
before buying any Sony machine.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 10:53:01 PM

MS wrote:
> I played around with one of the new Sony T- series subnotebooks in
> Best Buy the other day. Cute, tempting to get one. Seems to have most
> of the features of a larger notebook, including built-in CD-RW/DVD
> drive (possible to get with CDRW-DVDRW drive as well) (more
> convenient than having to carry around the drive separate and connect
> via USB), USB and Firewire ports, PC card slot, etc. I forget all the
> details. Of course, the trade-offs are small screen, and small
> keyboard. And higher price for the same features as a lower costing
> larger notebook! (The screen was quite readable though, and the
> keyboard quite usable. I just played with it a few minutes though.)
>
> Tempting to start thinking of getting such a small subnotebook
> sometime in the future though. Utmost in portability, short of a PDA
> (or the new oQo, but there are a lot of trade-offs to that!), while
> still having all functions. I doubt one could get one of these for
> less than $2000 now, but perhaps the prices will go down with time.
>
> There are other companies that make these small subnotebooks as well,
> although this was the only one at Best Buy. Fujitsu, for example,
> Sharp Actius, I don't recall which others.
>
> Anyone here used one of these sub-sub-notebooks? Comments? Anyone
> tried more than one, and could compare their advantages and
> disadvantages? Anyone know of a comparative review of them on the web?
>
> Thanks to anyone who cares to join this discussion, and HAPPY NEW
> YEAR TO ALL!

I can tell you that my wife loves her T3a. She has carried a laptop for
years and this is the first she has yet to complain about the weight.
FWIW, the Intel wireless is the best -b card on any of my four laptops.
The screen is excellent, but I personally have some difficulty when my
eyes are fatigued. The only thing I don't care much about is the
widescreen format, but that is not due to this laptop but to widescreens
in general which constrain my work. My wife has yet to mention any
widescreen issues. It is interesting that the 1Ghz Pentium M performs
as well as any laptop with a faster processor (really means that any
performance issues are miniscule) for general office and internet work.
The only drawback is that the right hand shift key is small and takes
some getting accustomed to.

a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 6:45:41 AM

I've used Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Fujitsu 9" to 12"
subnotebooks. The Panasonics beat all the other by a
wide margin.

dk

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I played around with one of the new Sony T- series subnotebooks in Best
Buy
> the other day. Cute, tempting to get one. Seems to have most of the
features
> of a larger notebook, including built-in CD-RW/DVD drive (possible to get
> with CDRW-DVDRW drive as well) (more convenient than having to carry
around
> the drive separate and connect via USB), USB and Firewire ports, PC card
> slot, etc. I forget all the details. Of course, the trade-offs are small
> screen, and small keyboard. And higher price for the same features as a
> lower costing larger notebook! (The screen was quite readable though, and
> the keyboard quite usable. I just played with it a few minutes though.)
>
> Tempting to start thinking of getting such a small subnotebook sometime in
> the future though. Utmost in portability, short of a PDA (or the new oQo,
> but there are a lot of trade-offs to that!), while still having all
> functions. I doubt one could get one of these for less than $2000 now, but
> perhaps the prices will go down with time.
>
> There are other companies that make these small subnotebooks as well,
> although this was the only one at Best Buy. Fujitsu, for example, Sharp
> Actius, I don't recall which others.
>
> Anyone here used one of these sub-sub-notebooks? Comments? Anyone tried
more
> than one, and could compare their advantages and disadvantages? Anyone
know
> of a comparative review of them on the web?
>
> Thanks to anyone who cares to join this discussion, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO
> ALL!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 6:45:42 AM

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> writes:
> I've used Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Fujitsu 9" to 12"
> subnotebooks. The Panasonics beat all the other by a
> wide margin.

A buddy of mine has a Lifebook P2000, which was a great machine at the
time, but I'd say there's better stuff out there now.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:16:45 AM

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I played around with one of the new Sony T- series subnotebooks in Best Buy
> the other day. Cute, tempting to get one. Seems to have most of the
> features
> of a larger notebook, including built-in CD-RW/DVD drive (possible to get
> with CDRW-DVDRW drive as well) (more convenient than having to carry
> around
> the drive separate and connect via USB), USB and Firewire ports, PC card
> slot, etc. I forget all the details. Of course, the trade-offs are small
> screen, and small keyboard. And higher price for the same features as a
> lower costing larger notebook! (The screen was quite readable though, and
> the keyboard quite usable. I just played with it a few minutes though.)

I've had this Sony notebook (VGN-T150P) for a coupla weeks and I like it
quite a bit. Great battery life, screen, very light, nice finish, DVD
writer, and though it's not cheap, IMO it's a pretty good buy compared to
its competition. Biggest complaint was its not being terribly fast but
added RAM to make it 1 gig and it's an acceptable improvement.
January 4, 2005 8:18:41 AM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've had this Sony notebook (VGN-T150P) for a coupla weeks and I like it
> quite a bit. Great battery life, screen, very light, nice finish, DVD
> writer, and though it's not cheap, IMO it's a pretty good buy compared to
> its competition. Biggest complaint was its not being terribly fast but
> added RAM to make it 1 gig and it's an acceptable improvement.

How long does the battery life actually last on a charge? (Not what they
state, as I've heard battery-life statistics are often inflated. Have you
ever used it on battery until the battery ran out, or almost ran out? How
long did it last? Did that require an extra battery, or just the normal
one?)

Also, does it have a memory card slot? Does that only accept "memory
sticks", Sony's proprietary format? Or also SD? CF?

How do you find the keyboard? Acceptable?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 1:45:04 AM

> "Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I've had this Sony notebook (VGN-T150P) for a coupla weeks and I like it
>> quite a bit. Great battery life, screen, very light, nice finish, DVD
>> writer, and though it's not cheap, IMO it's a pretty good buy compared to
>> its competition. Biggest complaint was its not being terribly fast but
>> added RAM to make it 1 gig and it's an acceptable improvement.
>
> How long does the battery life actually last on a charge? (Not what they
> state, as I've heard battery-life statistics are often inflated. Have you
> ever used it on battery until the battery ran out, or almost ran out? How
> long did it last? Did that require an extra battery, or just the normal
> one?)

I typically get 4 hrs or more on the standard battery doing work the whole
time with full brightness, wifi on, etc.

> Also, does it have a memory card slot? Does that only accept "memory
> sticks", Sony's proprietary format? Or also SD? CF?

Only has a memory stick slot.

> How do you find the keyboard? Acceptable?

Though it takes a little getting used to, keyboard feels great for such a
small notebook. BTW, I got this at Micro Center for $1950 after rebates
(which included $100 for getting and charging it on their credit card).
Also saw it on sale at Office Depot for $1899. Good luck.
!