Old Hp Compaq Presario S3000NX Motherboard and power supply problem

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi everyone, I have an old HP Compaq Presario S3000NX I use for my radio stuff.
A few days ago, the power supply kept working whenever it wanted. Some days it worked, some days it didn't. The light would simply not go on (on the back of the supply). So I decided to replace it. I got one and installed it.
However, a few seconds after powering up, it turns off. I have checked everything on the motherboard to make sure I connected it the right way.
I checked RAM, graphics cards, making sure they are all the way down in the slots. Nothing. I kept looking and I realized the cpu fan is not working, maybe that's it? Well, I checked the connection and the fan wire seems to be connected correctly. Now, I do not know if I am connecting the PSU to the motherboard the right way. I only have one option...one wire that goes to the 20 pin. That's it. The rest is an old IDE hard drive. What am I missing?
Does anybody know what motherboard does the model HP Compaq Presario S3000NX use? I keep looking to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Indirectly, yes. If the CPU gets too hot too quickly, it can shut off just as soon as you turn on the system. This can sometimes give the appearance of power failure.

On the other hand, if the thermal paste isn't the problem, the PSU could be failing. Testing the PSU with a digital multimeter would be best.

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The PSU should be ok, since I tried both and both did the same. One PSU was not working well, that's why I replaced it, it would only work every other day for some reason. So after I installed the new PSU and turned off after a few seconds, I decided to try the old PSU. It worked, but the same way, it turned off after a few seconds.
I am afraid maybe I left some cable out, that's why I want the model of the motherboard or some manual or something.
I just plugged in the motherboard 20 pin to it...is there anything else I left out?

Depending on the age of the mobo, there could be a 4-pin connector that dedicates power to the CPU. If this was missed, then you would be able to power the mobo, but not the CPU, and as a result, you would have no display on the monitor.

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Yeah, that 4-pin connector I looked for it when I installed the PSU the other day, thinking that's what it was, but I could not find it, so I guessed there is none. I really would like to find a picture of my motherboard or schematics. But boy, it is so hard to find those HP motherboards sometimes.
And that's another thing, I don't have anything on the monitor, nothing displays on it.