Best Graphics/Video Card for my computer?

jx3

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hi,
I want to upgrade my graphics card so I can actually get on with some decent gaming.

Here are my CURRENT specs:

Compaq Presario Media Center SR1923WM Desktop PC, with w19 19" lcd wide-screen monitor (1440x900 res),

-CPU: Athlon 64 (V) 3500+ 2.2 GHz, *(2000 MT/s, Socket 939),

-Graphics Card: GeForce 6150 LE (The main problem...),

-PSU: HIPRO Model: HP-D3057F3R (Max. Output 300W),

-Asus A8N-LA Motherboard, easier to find by the HP/Compaq motherboard name: Nagami2L-GL8,

-4 GB RAM (4 x 1 GB) : 184 pin, DDR SDRAM, the maximum amount of physical memory for my PC,

-120 GB SATA 3G Hard drive.

My question is, what is the best or fastest video/graphics card for gaming with high display settings and watching movies, that my cpu and/or motherboard can handle?

I want to be sure the one I buy is compatible with my computer before I purchase it. I live in the US and prefer to buy from newegg.com but I'm flexible.

I'm also aware I may need to upgrade my PSU if I upgrade to a new graphics card.

Any and all advice/suggestions for the best graphics card (and possibly PSU) are greatly appreciated.

To be perfectly honest a single core Athlon 3500+ is going to chock any modern graphics card, not to mention any CPU intensive game. I really think your money would be better spent saving for a complete system overhaul.

Most modern games are multi-threaded and even list a dual core in the minimum requirements. Even if you did install a lower end gaming card, the rest of your system is going to hold you back.

What games were you looking to play?

jx3

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I have been looking into upgrading my CPU. The problem is that I have a Socket 939 motherboard which most likely will not recognize any dual core processors, as far as I know.

Also, the BIOS chip I have is made custom to my pc and there is no option for upgrade.

I could probably install a slightly better CPU but I don't know if that would help much. If I'm wrong about any of this, let me know. I don't really want to start from scratch and have to buy parts for a whole new PC but it looks like that may be my only option.

Wiiinppongamer is about right on the 4650. That is probably the most I would go with on your current system to maybe sqeeze a little life out of it yet. But I wouldn't expect magical things to happen.

PC gaming isn't really a cheap hobby. That is why so many are going to the console. I just can't give up my FPS and RTS's to a controller. There is no way I would be satisfied trying to get crosshairs on someones head with an analog stick. Granted I do love fighting and racing games on a console.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Nope, he just said that he suggests to stay with the manufacturer of your integrated chipset for whatever reason.
I wouldn't agree with this, but he definitely did not say to stick with integrated.
Go read it again.
How much were you going to spend on a new graphics card/PSU?