Sign in with
Your question

Best Graphics/Video Card for my computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2010 7:10:11 PM

Hi,
I want to upgrade my graphics card so I can actually get on with some decent gaming.

Here are my CURRENT specs:

Compaq Presario Media Center SR1923WM Desktop PC, with w19 19" lcd wide-screen monitor (1440x900 res),

-CPU: Athlon 64 (V) 3500+ 2.2 GHz, *(2000 MT/s, Socket 939),

-Graphics Card: GeForce 6150 LE (The main problem...),

-PSU: HIPRO Model: HP-D3057F3R (Max. Output 300W),

-Asus A8N-LA Motherboard, easier to find by the HP/Compaq motherboard name: Nagami2L-GL8,

-4 GB RAM (4 x 1 GB) : 184 pin, DDR SDRAM, the maximum amount of physical memory for my PC,

-120 GB SATA 3G Hard drive.

My question is, what is the best or fastest video/graphics card for gaming with high display settings and watching movies, that my cpu and/or motherboard can handle?

I want to be sure the one I buy is compatible with my computer before I purchase it. I live in the US and prefer to buy from newegg.com but I'm flexible.

I'm also aware I may need to upgrade my PSU if I upgrade to a new graphics card.

Any and all advice/suggestions for the best graphics card (and possibly PSU) are greatly appreciated.

a c 147 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 7:29:56 PM

To be perfectly honest a single core Athlon 3500+ is going to chock any modern graphics card, not to mention any CPU intensive game. I really think your money would be better spent saving for a complete system overhaul.

Most modern games are multi-threaded and even list a dual core in the minimum requirements. Even if you did install a lower end gaming card, the rest of your system is going to hold you back.

What games were you looking to play?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 7:38:38 PM

4650 would be fine for your system, dont expect too much out of it in modern games
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 7:42:25 PM

I have to agree with jay2tall, if you are serious about gaming and depending on which game you intend to play, you might want to consider upgrading your entire system.
m
l
August 13, 2010 7:46:49 PM

I have been looking into upgrading my CPU. The problem is that I have a Socket 939 motherboard which most likely will not recognize any dual core processors, as far as I know.

Also, the BIOS chip I have is made custom to my pc and there is no option for upgrade.

I could probably install a slightly better CPU but I don't know if that would help much. If I'm wrong about any of this, let me know. I don't really want to start from scratch and have to buy parts for a whole new PC but it looks like that may be my only option.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 7:48:08 PM

Wiiinppongamer is about right on the 4650. That is probably the most I would go with on your current system to maybe sqeeze a little life out of it yet. But I wouldn't expect magical things to happen.

PC gaming isn't really a cheap hobby. That is why so many are going to the console. I just can't give up my FPS and RTS's to a controller. There is no way I would be satisfied trying to get crosshairs on someones head with an analog stick. Granted I do love fighting and racing games on a console.
m
l
August 13, 2010 7:48:41 PM

I'm looking to play games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, and similar games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 7:55:01 PM

it'll be better that you just get a whole new system
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 7:56:09 PM

They don't take much umph. If you find your PC issue is not your card, that will play those games no problem.

My favorite card of choice right now is the GTX 460 1GB. I'd recommend that over anything around $200 right now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 9:32:14 PM

you suggest sticking with an onboard is better than getting a dedicated gpu?

can't believe it
m
l
August 13, 2010 9:53:02 PM

Nope, he just said that he suggests to stay with the manufacturer of your integrated chipset for whatever reason.
I wouldn't agree with this, but he definitely did not say to stick with integrated.
Go read it again.
How much were you going to spend on a new graphics card/PSU?
m
l
!