Sign in with
Your question

How do I choose what motherboard to buy?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 16, 2011 12:25:11 AM

Hello,

So I just bought an AMD AM3 processer for my computer. While updating the BIOS, it crashed and now my mobo is brokeded. So how do I know which motherboard to get?

I don't care what brand it is, like it'd be nice if it was one that had some good support but as long as it works and all, i don't care. I'm just partial to Asus

The processor I just got uses 65w. My power supply says like max is 305W. So I guess i have an avaliablity of free wattage is like 240W now? I"m not sure

What I want to do is use this new processor and use as many components as I already have. I don't want to get a new power supply. The power supply has a 24-pin connector and a 4-pin connector. It has mostly sata and a few IDE power things. I also have an Nvidea e-GeForce 8600 GT video card and 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives as well as 1 floppy drive.

I'm wondering like how do I buy a motherboard? Are most motherboards able to handle all that without question? I need it to be an AM3 socket motherboard, which implies that it has to be able to handle dual core processors. I would like it to have 4 ram slots b/c 1gb ram sticks are cheaper than 2gb sticks, but if there is one that only has two, thats fine. I also need an IDE slot for the floppy drive, although that isn't the most important thing if everything works, that could be thrown away if everything worked fine, i just use it to fix very deep rooted firmware issues.

If there is one with USB 3.0 support, that be cool too. It sounds like i'm asking people to do the work for me, but that would be nice since i have no idea what i'm looking for.

Thanks!

More about : choose motherboard buy

a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2011 12:58:15 AM

well what sort of budget you got? plus all your components have a power rating so 65w cpu doesn't leave 240w ... from what ive read about the graphics card its not the best but maybe this board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
thats $60
m
l
August 16, 2011 1:12:16 AM

Thanks a bunch!

I forgot to mention that my case has the all the sockets and jacks and such on the right side of the board and not the left. Does anybody know of any boards that have that and that are current?
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2011 1:44:04 AM

Gigabyte 870A-USB3 rev. 3.1. Nice inexpensive board with everything you may want. Rev. 3.1 make it compatible with upcoming am3+ cpu.
m
l
!