Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No Sound. Replace Integrated sound card or ...?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2010 7:42:45 PM

How do I regain my sound on my HP Pavilion PC? Running Vista, with (I think) on-board sound. I have 6 jacks arranged in a square pattern, and they are not attached to a sound card that I can simply yank out. Have tried all the fixes on the HP site. All Windows fixes including messing with the BIOS. All I can see in my Device Manager is "HDMI digital output" x 4 icons. Nothing for speakers, besides, I know my speakers are not digital. I have read some threads here, but a lot of it is "french" to me. I am pretty much a tech novice, so be gentle.
Thx!
August 16, 2010 2:02:30 PM

Did you try hp recovery from cd if you got one. i would say upgrade to windows 7. after that you never need to worry about any kind of drivers .
Score
August 17, 2010 1:09:48 PM

gauravtushir said:
Did you try hp recovery from cd if you got one. i would say upgrade to windows 7. after that you never need to worry about any kind of drivers .

I'm no expert, but there has to be a less expensive & more direct solution. I have problems with my sound, not my OS.

Surely someone out there has an idea?
Score
Related resources
August 25, 2010 5:47:26 AM

Did you even bother to make hp recovery dvd when you first bought your laptop .
Score
August 25, 2010 5:49:56 AM

What sort of problems are you having with your sound? Have you tried plugging a pair of headphones into the green jack on the back to see if there is any sound coming out to make sure its not a problem with your speakers?

Upgrading to windows 7 isnt going to solve any driver problems, the drivers for 7 and vista are basically the same.
Score
August 25, 2010 2:16:32 PM

I have tried everything, including plugging headphones into the back, into the "mic" jack, and directly into the CD player. I've tried 2 sets of speakers, the monitor speakers, enable/disable in the Bios, re-install the software driver ... everything. I've gone through everything suggested on the HP site for "No Sound" issues. I've even bought a sound card but there's no expansion slot for it. The sound card has 2 cut-outs and the slot in my computer is the same as the one that my video card plugs into (PCI Express x16) - 1 cut-out. Sorry, I don't know what they're called, but the PCI sound card I bought will not fit. That's when I realized that my sound is integrated. This making me nuts. :heink: 
Score
August 25, 2010 2:23:53 PM

gauravtushir said:
Did you even bother to make hp recovery dvd when you first bought your laptop .

I made recovery CDs. But I recently had to replace my video card (being a novice, diagnosis wreaked havock on my system before I figured out what was wrong. Long story) and it's not so long ago I restored everything back the way it was. That was an epic job, and not looking forward to doing it again.
Score
!