Closed

No Sound. Replace Integrated sound card or ...?

How do I regain my sound on my HP Pavilion PC? Running Vista, with (I think) on-board sound. I have 6 jacks arranged in a square pattern, and they are not attached to a sound card that I can simply yank out. Have tried all the fixes on the HP site. All Windows fixes including messing with the BIOS. All I can see in my Device Manager is "HDMI digital output" x 4 icons. Nothing for speakers, besides, I know my speakers are not digital. I have read some threads here, but a lot of it is "french" to me. I am pretty much a tech novice, so be gentle.
Thx!
6 answers Last reply
More about sound replace integrated sound card
  1. Did you try hp recovery from cd if you got one. i would say upgrade to windows 7. after that you never need to worry about any kind of drivers .
  2. gauravtushir said:
    Did you try hp recovery from cd if you got one. i would say upgrade to windows 7. after that you never need to worry about any kind of drivers .

I'm no expert, but there has to be a less expensive & more direct solution. I have problems with my sound, not my OS.

Surely someone out there has an idea?
  3. Did you even bother to make hp recovery dvd when you first bought your laptop .
  4. What sort of problems are you having with your sound? Have you tried plugging a pair of headphones into the green jack on the back to see if there is any sound coming out to make sure its not a problem with your speakers?

Upgrading to windows 7 isnt going to solve any driver problems, the drivers for 7 and vista are basically the same.
  5. I have tried everything, including plugging headphones into the back, into the "mic" jack, and directly into the CD player. I've tried 2 sets of speakers, the monitor speakers, enable/disable in the Bios, re-install the software driver ... everything. I've gone through everything suggested on the HP site for "No Sound" issues. I've even bought a sound card but there's no expansion slot for it. The sound card has 2 cut-outs and the slot in my computer is the same as the one that my video card plugs into (PCI Express x16) - 1 cut-out. Sorry, I don't know what they're called, but the PCI sound card I bought will not fit. That's when I realized that my sound is integrated. This making me nuts. :heink:
  6. gauravtushir said:
    Did you even bother to make hp recovery dvd when you first bought your laptop .

I made recovery CDs. But I recently had to replace my video card (being a novice, diagnosis wreaked havock on my system before I figured out what was wrong. Long story) and it's not so long ago I restored everything back the way it was. That was an epic job, and not looking forward to doing it again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Sound Cards Graphics