Sign in with
Your question

Laptop boot by default the second hard driver and not the 1o one

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2013 7:17:31 AM

Hello guys its my first time i am posting here because i have a problem with my laptop, i am using hp dv6 1340ev and i desided to add an ssd OCZ VTX4 128gb together with hdd caddy so i can remove the optical drive to add my old hdd for storage, i fresh installed my old windows 7 on the ssd and i formatted my old hard drive all works good but the only problem is that when i open my laptop by default it boot always the optical drive (my old hdd) and i need all the time to change to boot the ssd( laptop first hard drive), i also changed the priority at the bios to boot first the laptop ssd and then all the others, but still the same... any suggestion on what can cause this?
January 3, 2013 10:24:22 AM

First of all the name is "drive" not "driver" ;) 
Was the old HDD plugged in and formatted before Win7 was reinstalled or afterwards. Could be that the active system boot drive is still the old HDD.
a b D Laptop
a c 84 G Storage
January 3, 2013 10:46:52 AM

Like helpstar said: goto disk management. If the hdd has this tiny 100mb partition at the beginning and the ssd doesn't, the hdd is still the boot device and only points to the win7 on the ssd.
January 3, 2013 11:28:14 AM

That could be a BIOS problem, because the SSD is not recognized fast enough. Disable the CD/DVD-Boot option in the BIOS and try again.

Also you could look for a newer BIOS Version, if available.
January 3, 2013 11:51:05 AM

helpstar said:
That could be a BIOS problem, because the SSD is not recognized fast enough. Disable the CD/DVD-Boot option in the BIOS and try again.

Also you could look for a newer BIOS Version, if available.

i got the newest bios version i disabled the cd/dvd boot but still it boot the optical drive :(  i am planning to move now the ssd on the optical drive caddy and put back the old hdd to the original position but i dont know if that can help or its waste of time.

ps: i moved the ssd on the optical drive caddy and the old hdd to the original sata area, and now the ssd boot first and the windows load with no problem but really weird......
January 3, 2013 1:43:54 PM

Glad that worked out for you.
Like you wrote: "weird" :D 
January 16, 2013 7:39:48 PM

I have exactly the same problem on my HP Pavilion G6, but i won't swap the drives... no way I've suffered enough installing them. Is there any other solution since setting the boot sequence in BIOS won't work at all. Maybe re-installing the Windows on the SSD drive should help?
!