Closed Solved

GTX 460 meets an old 550 watt power supply killing it.

Hey guys,
I own a EVGA GTX 460 768MB DDR5 graphics card since JULY. Well i have been running it on the same power supply since then. Recently i got new parts. here is my whole system:

AMD Phenom II X3 740 BE AM3 Tri-core CPU
ECS Black series A785GM-M AM3 DDR3 Motherboard
EVGA GTX 460 768MB DDR5
Kingston HyperX 1GB 1800MHZ DDR3
Western Digital Blue caviar WD3200 sata hard drive
Ebay 2GB DDR3 1333mhz 1.5v ram stick
Samsung 80GB sata hard drive
Cooler Master CM690 NV690 Nvidia case
Cooler Master Hyper 101A AM3 CPU cooler
Okia 550ATX 550 watt power supply (modded)

Recently my system has gotten SERIOUS problems. My games started locking up after rasing the voltage on my GTX 460 to 1025... Well that ruined my ENTIRE system. Now after SEVERAL tests im not sure what to do. I thought my GTX 460 broke but after another lock up i touched my power supply heatsink (my psu is 10% open) and it burned my finger instantly. Do you think my power supply is dyeing? My power supply is overheating which causes lock ups. I cant afford a new power supply now so what should i do?

thanks

Although i cant afford a new power supply, please recomend some cheap power supplies for my system. I want a power supply that has AT LEAST one 6-pin cable.

BTW my power supply is a FIVE YEAR OLD 550 Watt generic power supply. Even five years ago it was considered crappy. It is a OKIA 550ATX 550watt power supply and it has 24amps on the 12v+ rail which is the ABSOLUTE minimum for my system. thanks...
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about meets watt power supply killing
  1. Best answer
    OCZ has some really decent psu's at reasonable $$, as in less than $100.00 us/cad, I am presently running a Stealth X Stream 600 which cost approx $89.00 cad ?? I think, anyhow no complaints, do yourself a favour always buy a good brand name, that way if it snafu's you know who to go to...As dedicated gamers we both know that there is no excuse for putting a cheap psu in our favourite toy........ :)
  2. Check out the review of the 600 at Hardwaresecrets.com, OCZ could have sold it as a 700w psu, it'a a Bargoon...Look under PSU's...:)
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&cm_re=550w_psu-_-17-139-004-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&cm_re=550w_psu-_-17-341-022-_-Product

I have the ModX, the StealthX and the Fatal1ty and my order of preference goes Fat/Mod/Stealth.

You can't go wrong with the Corsair though.
  4. Thanks for all the help guys. Well im saving up money. So far i have $30 but im EXTREMELY tight. The thing im REALLY worried about is that maybe the problem isnt the power supply. If i continue to get the SAME problems after a new power supply, I WILL BE FURIOUS! So far i am 98% SURE its the power supply. Played Crysis Warhead start to finish with a HUGE fan blowing on the Power supply heatsinks. With AC and everything the case temp was at around 25c. There was not a single problem and the heatinks did not overheat. I am going to REPLAY the ENTIRE game but with the case normal. (no open sides or any ridiculous fans blowing in)

Thanks for the help guys and the recommendations. Unfortunately anything above $50 total is too much. I am VERY broke right now and imagine buying a $100 power supply and end up having to RMA my GTX 460 EITHER WAY. so yeah... =) is there ANY way to test if my power supply is really dieing. In a few hours i will probably buy a power supply. I agree dokk2. I feel very bad when i buy cheapo no name brand stuff, but my financial condition USUALLY forces me to. I know you guys will HATE me and throw virtual rocks at me, but how about those Cheapo $30 ebay power supplies? HAHA i want AT LEAST 35amps on the 12v+ rail but it will run with less.

I have a question, i have been building computers for 6 years, but i never understood rails... DO rails add up? IM REALLY looking forward to buying the OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ500SXS2 500W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply from newegg. ITS AN AMAZING PRICE. Im seriously thinking on that OCZ. but other than that, what else is good? how would this compare to the OCZ: http://cgi.ebay.com/650W-20-24-Pin-ATX-SATA-w-120mm-Fan-Power-Supply-/220713044793?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item336385cb39#ht_4986wt_1139 it has 150 more watts, and has a single 30amp 12v+ rail...

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/650w-ATX-PC-power-supply-HP-Gateway-Toshiba-Computer-/290503595709?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item43a35d16bd#ht_2633wt_905
    it claims to have 35amps on the 12v+ rail. THATS perfect. It has PLENTY of power. Those power supplies are better in every way except 2 compared to the OCZ: the brand and the quality.

Please answer :D
  5. If that is your budget get the OCZ and quick.
  6. neonzion said:
    Thanks for all the help guys. Well im saving up money. So far i have $30 but im EXTREMELY tight. The thing im REALLY worried about is that maybe the problem isnt the power supply. If i continue to get the SAME problems after a new power supply, I WILL BE FURIOUS! So far i am 98% SURE its the power supply. Played Crysis Warhead start to finish with a HUGE fan blowing on the Power supply heatsinks. With AC and everything the case temp was at around 25c. There was not a single problem and the heatinks did not overheat. I am going to REPLAY the ENTIRE game but with the case normal. (no open sides or any ridiculous fans blowing in)

Thanks for the help guys and the recommendations. Unfortunately anything above $50 total is too much. I am VERY broke right now and imagine buying a $100 power supply and end up having to RMA my GTX 460 EITHER WAY. so yeah... =) is there ANY way to test if my power supply is really dieing. In a few hours i will probably buy a power supply. I agree dokk2. I feel very bad when i buy cheapo no name brand stuff, but my financial condition USUALLY forces me to. I know you guys will HATE me and throw virtual rocks at me, but how about those Cheapo $30 ebay power supplies? HAHA i want AT LEAST 35amps on the 12v+ rail but it will run with less.

I have a question, i have been building computers for 6 years, but i never understood rails... DO rails add up? IM REALLY looking forward to buying the OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ500SXS2 500W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply from newegg. ITS AN AMAZING PRICE. Im seriously thinking on that OCZ. but other than that, what else is good? how would this compare to the OCZ: http://cgi.ebay.com/650W-20-24-Pin-ATX-SATA-w-120mm-Fan-Power-Supply-/220713044793?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item336385cb39#ht_4986wt_1139 it has 150 more watts, and has a single 30amp 12v+ rail...

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/650w-ATX-PC-power-supply-HP-Gateway-Toshiba-Computer-/290503595709?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item43a35d16bd#ht_2633wt_905
    it claims to have 35amps on the 12v+ rail. THATS perfect. It has PLENTY of power. Those power supplies are better in every way except 2 compared to the OCZ: the brand and the quality.

Please answer :D

those are some very bad PSU...very bad

edit; rails don't add up. in fact just about every PSU under 1000w has just one 12v rail, some manufactures simply split it up.
  7. ct1615 said:
    those are some very bad PSU...very bad

edit; rails don't add up. in fact just about every PSU under 1000w has just one 12v rail, some manufactures simply split it up.

Thanks for answering, so i guess the OCZ wont work either =( it has 18amps on 12v+1 and 18amps on 12v+2

Thanks for the help.
  8. neonzion said:
    Thanks for answering, so i guess the OCZ wont work either =( it has 18amps on 12v+1 and 18amps on 12v+2

Thanks for the help.

the ocz will work just fine. the $17 units you linked will never be able to provide their stated power.

i personally would go with the antec 520w or corsair 450w (peaks at 575w). if you want a better unit, i believe newegg has the antec TP 550w on sale or at least did. the OCZ mod 500w is another decent budget option.

this article may help you out
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices
  9. Thanks for all the help guys. I will wait and run dual power supplies for now. my 550w powers my motherboard, cpu, ram, and 75% of my GTX 460 (i have 2 6pin to molex = 4 molex so 3 of those molex are on the 550w)... I have another 250w power supply running all the fans, hard drives, optical drives, and 25% of my GTX 460. My 550w runs A LOT cooler. Its running perfect now. The 250w is in the hard drive rack. I will wait until after Janurary to purchase a good power supply, most likely corsair... :D

thanks for the help
  10. Best answer selected by neonzion.
  11. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx Components Product