Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old pc hardware

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2010 4:05:28 PM

Hey guys,

Is it possible to bring a dinosaur up to date. I'm talking like AMD Duron cpu, MSI motherboard 2xDIMM slots which can only support up to 512MB DDR RAM max, AGP, PCI and PCI-E slot, 20GB HDD. It probably has a standard 350W PSU. I havent seem the inside completely, but as far as I can tell they used to run Windows 95/98.

Its kind of a garage sale from my company, so before getting one I would like to know if I can get this dino running Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7.

More about : hardware

September 24, 2010 4:10:04 PM

Don't bother.
m
l

Best solution

September 24, 2010 7:05:13 PM

You would essentially have to toss all of the guts and buy new stuff. The case could be salvageable, but not really much point there.

If you want an up to date box, start from scratch (you would end up doing so with the dinosaur anyway).

That old beast, could make a passable Linux firewall or small server if you attached some external storage to it, but I wouldn't do anything critical with such dated components.

Good luck!
Related resources
September 24, 2010 7:44:51 PM

^+1 firewall and router would do fine on it

also if you use teamspeak, it could probably run that on a headless linux system
m
l
September 24, 2010 8:02:23 PM

that system would be good for a toybox or retro-gaming system, but its much too old to do anything modern
m
l
October 4, 2010 10:38:33 AM

Best answer selected by ginmardo.
m
l
October 4, 2010 10:38:54 AM

Thanks guys, just what i needed to hear.
m
l
!