Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-D3 with an i5 2600k unlocked???

hezeel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi guys, new to the boards & I just have a quick question.
I'm upgrading my old PC & re-using drives & PSU etc, but getting new motherboard, cpu & RAM.

Will a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-D3 work well with an i5 2600k if I ever wanted to do a small bit of over clocking?

The Gigabyte page says it supports "the new 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors", but is that the same as when say an ASRock Z68extreme4 says it supports "Intel K-Series unlocked CPU"?

On a bit of a tight budget (read 2kids+mortgage) & other than that question mark, it looks like the gigabyte board will do what I want, for about $50 less (priced over here in Australia).

Thanks for any help,
Hez.

There is no "i5 2600k" as you've stated.

The unlocked processors that the GA-Z68XP-D3 supports:

Core i7-2600K
Core i5-2500K

The Core i5-2500K is cheaper by about $95 because it doesn't support Intel Hyper-Threading Technology. If you're on a budget this is the one to choose unless you really need the eight thread processing of the Core i7-2600K.

hezeel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Ahhh sorry, that's what I get for trying to go from memory after looking at confusing motherboard serial numbers for a couple of hours :pt1cable:

Yes the unlocked processor at the top of the i5 range was the one I ment, so that would be i5-2500k.

If you're going to be using the stock heatsink & fan that Intel provides with the processor, just make sure that your processor's temperature doesn't exceed 75°C when overclocked. Back off on the overclocking if it does get too high.