Gigabyte GA-Z77N compatiblity with LSI MegaRAID?

Hi all,

This is my first post here. (after reading a lot of topics/articles)

Situation:
I'm planning to setup a small multipurpose nas box for home storage convenience.
I've ordered a mini-itx case, mobo and cpu and was planning to go for SATA drives.

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi Socket 1155 (Intel Z77 Express chipset)
Intel i3-3220T 3rd Gen 2.8 Ghz

One week ago i've received 2x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB SAS (ST32000444SS).
I've been searching for the right low cost sas controller since then.

I found this one:
LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i SGL 4-Port 6Gbps SATA+SAS PCI-E 2.0

It supports the drives, but not the mobo (http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID%20Controllers/RAID%20Controllers%20Common%20Files/MegaRAID_Entry_Interop_List_SAS2.pdf)

Does anyone here has some experience with the Sas controller or mobo?
Or perhaps some advice?

Any help is very appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte z77n compatiblity megaraid
  1. LSI controllers are compatible with most motherboards. As long as the motherboard has a compliant PCIe 2.0 slot (or 1.0 as it is backwards compatible) you will be fine. I am running two of the 8i controllers on a ga-890fx board with no issue.
  2. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm going to give it a try.
  3. Nothing_But_NAS said:
    LSI controllers are compatible with most motherboards. As long as the motherboard has a compliant PCIe 2.0 slot (or 1.0 as it is backwards compatible) you will be fine. I am running two of the 8i controllers on a ga-890fx board with no issue.

I just got an HP LTO Tape drive with an LSI SAS9220-8i and have an 890fxa-ud5 mobo (is that what you meant by ga-890fx?) and the mobo refuses to load Windows if that card is installed, I get this error:

"No physical memory is obtainable at the location necessary to load the Windows Boot Manager"

What is the exact model of your LSI card and mobo?

I've already listed my LSI card on eBay and bought a HighPoint card as it seems these 2 cards simply aren't compatible so I'm assuming you have a different model of either the card or mobo.

Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SAS Gigabyte Storage