Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XFX 8600GT XXX Edition - SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2010 9:01:33 PM

Hey guys,

I've had an XFX 8600GT XXX Edition for a while now, and recently a few of the capacitors blew. So I bought replacements (all for less than $10) and wanted to repair the card. Then I thought that maybe I should upgrade, but seeing as how I would have repaired this card and be forced to put it to one side, I thought that I should figure out an SLI option.

Seeing as how these cards are either ridiculously rare, or ridiculously expensive these days, I was wondering if anyone knew of any other cards that I could SLI with this one.

My only other worry is that my 600W PSU fans recently stopped (don't ask me how, I honestly haven't the slightest clue), so I'm using a stock 250W power supply and a dated Radeon X550 graphics card.

So I'm surviving at the moment, but I'm getting tired of it really quickly.

I wanted to repair the power supply, also, which shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, but let me know if you've seen any great deals on power supplies, or even graphics cards that might tempt me :D 

Thank you very much :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 9:46:26 PM

The 8600 GT is both old and fairly slow (XXX edition or otherwise), so I wouldn't bother with SLI. You'd be better off with a single newer card.
m
l
August 14, 2010 3:53:00 AM

That's always been in the back of my mind...so I was wondering if you knew of any cards that were a considerable step up, but cost less than $150, taxes in.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 88 ) Power supply
August 14, 2010 4:13:48 AM

A $140 5770 would be a huge improvement. If you meant $150 including a new PSU then I'd look at getting the 400W Corsair and the best card with the leftover money. If you stretch it and can wait for rebates, you should be able to get the 400W Corsair and a 5750.
August 14, 2010 4:19:31 AM

For the PSU, I'm thinking of just getting the fan cables and rerouting them to my mother board...one of them has a 2-pin connector, but the other one is soldered to the fan controller in the PSU, so I have to figure something out for that.

But if that doesn't work out, I was thinking of just picking up a cheap 550W PSU from my local computer store for less than $25. Then spend the rest on a graphics card.

At this point there still aren't any nVidia comparables to the ATI 57xx line right?
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:46:31 AM

The more I research, the more I'm finding out about ATI 5700 and 5800 series cards having problems with Windows 7 64-bit.

I, my friends, have Windows 7 64-bit :D 
Taking into account that many companies have said that they'll work on correcting driver problems, and end up taking months to fix it, I'd rather go with a nVidia at this point.

So, if anyone has found a nVidia chipset GPU that's a significant upgrade from my 8600GT Stock Overclocked card, please let me know :D 

Thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 5:01:05 AM

Problems? I haven't heard of any problems with ATI 5000 series and Win7 x64. I know my pair of 4870x2s is running great on win7 x64, but I don't have any 5k series cards, so I don't have any personal experience with them.
m
l
August 14, 2010 5:15:40 AM

I was looking into a few 5770 cards, and I ALWAYS read the 1 star reviews...and out of 11 of them, I think all 11 said that they were giving them problems and that they'd later read on the ATI forums that they weren't the only ones. The more I looked into it, the more I found.

I've always had a thing for nVidia, not sure why (Maybe it's the aesthetics), but now that I heard that I might as well go with my gut and get a nVidia chipset.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 88 ) Power supply
August 14, 2010 5:21:47 AM

I see you've made your mind up, have fun with that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 14, 2010 5:39:19 AM

The only nvidia card worth getting now in my opinion is the gtx460. The "550w" PSU that you get at your local computer store for less than $25 is garbage. Get a decent PSU (Antec, Corsair, SilverStone, XFX, ect).

Also, for the 11 one star reviews, how many 5 or 4 star reviews were there? Many newegg reviewers do not really know what they are doing...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 7:44:03 AM

Oh, and I agree with duk3 - the "550W" for $25 is garbage - the 400W Corsair that 4745454b mentioned can probably output more power than the "550", and it will be more efficient and stable as well.
m
l
August 21, 2010 12:41:46 AM

Oh, the 550W was supposed to be a temporary fix until I had the money to buy a decent 600W or 700W unit that I could use longterm. I ended up just buying the replacement capacitors for my 8600, bought a nice soldering station, and replaced the blown caps.

I realized that I'm pretty happy with my 8600GT XXX at this point, I'm basically just playing Battlefield 2 (with the highest possible graphics without Anti-Aliasing) and Supreme Commander 2 with 2 monitors and medium/high settings, just fine.

Now I'm going for something I really need....a 2TB eSATA external hard drive...which I'm putting together myself, just because pre-assembled units are just too expensive.

Thank you for everything though...I don't have the time to look into the whole 5770 ratings thing right now, but I'll be sure to check it out and update you guys, possibly for future reference.
m
l
August 28, 2010 6:49:14 AM

Best answer selected by Hayorti.
m
l
!