What is Explorer doing at startup?

August 10, 2005 8:36:52 PM

When I boot my system, I experience some huge hard disk activity. If I look
at processes, I can easily see that the responsible is Windows Explorer. But
what Explorer is doing and why? It may lenghten startup by 5 minutes too. Is
there a way to know WHO is doing WHAT in my PC?

--
Dario de Judicibus - Rome, Italy (EU)
Site: http://www.dejudicibus.it

More about : explorer startup

August 10, 2005 8:36:53 PM

"" wrote:
> When I boot my system, I experience some huge hard disk
> activity. If I look
> at processes, I can easily see that the responsible is Windows
> Explorer. But
> what Explorer is doing and why? It may lenghten startup by 5
> minutes too. Is
> there a way to know WHO is doing WHAT in my PC?
>
> --
> Dario de Judicibus - Rome, Italy (EU)
> Site: http://www.dejudicibus.it
> Blog: http://lindipendente.splinder.com

Have you been using intenret explorer to access the internet?

If the answer is yes then your computer is most likly infected with
some form of malware, do virus scans (if you dont have a virus
scanner, use antivir) then download and scan with spybot. I also
highly recomend you stop using internet explorer, it is dangerus
border line stupid to use intneret explorer to access the internet,
there are several alternative web browsers avalable.

AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com/
Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Web Browser reviews:
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/starthere/browserreview.h...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Explo...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1350292
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:52:59 AM

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
| Have you been using intenret explorer to access the internet?

I use both IE and Firefox. But I do not think I have any malware. No attempt
is done to access any port. I have firewall, anti-virus, ad-aware and
variour anti-spyware tools. I regularly check my system. I suspect is some
freeware that start some indexing... Maybe the Free launch Bar. Any idea how
to verify that? Any "debug" tool around?

DdJ
August 11, 2005 3:53:00 AM

"Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message

> "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> | Have you been using intenret explorer to access the internet?
>
> I use both IE and Firefox. But I do not think I have any malware. No
> attempt
> is done to access any port. I have firewall, anti-virus, ad-aware and
> variour anti-spyware tools. I regularly check my system. I suspect is some
> freeware that start some indexing... Maybe the Free launch Bar. Any idea
> how
> to verify that? Any "debug" tool around?
>
> DdJ

Free launch Bar? If you've got some sort of freeware toolbar installed, then
you most likely got spyware of some sort. I've never seen a free toolbar
that didn't come with free spyware.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:53:01 AM

In news:3lvgcnF14d4dkU1@individual.net,
D.Currie <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> typed:

> Free launch Bar? If you've got some sort of freeware toolbar
> installed, then you most likely got spyware of some sort. I've
> never
> seen a free toolbar that didn't come with free spyware.

Never? Take a look at Dave's Quick Search Toolbar and Desktop
Sidebar. Both are free and neither comes with spware.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:53:02 AM

> In news:3lvgcnF14d4dkU1@individual.net,
> D.Currie <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Free launch Bar? If you've got some sort of freeware toolbar
>> installed, then you most likely got spyware of some sort. I've never
>> seen a free toolbar that didn't come with free spyware.
>

> Never? Take a look at Dave's Quick Search Toolbar and Desktop Sidebar.
> Both are free and neither comes with spware.

Well, that's one I've never seen, for sure. I don't see a lot of use for
extra toolbars, myself.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:55:48 PM

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

| Free launch Bar? If you've got some sort of freeware toolbar installed,
then
| you most likely got spyware of some sort. I've never seen a free toolbar
| that didn't come with free spyware.

I think this one is "clean": http://www.freelaunchbar.com/
I am a freeware developer and I have no malware o spyware in my software.
Not all freeware software are Trojan Horses.

DdJ
!