Frankenstein Computer HELP ME, I've been out of the loop

G

Hello, trying to build a new gaming setup while using whatever I can out of existing pc. I'm not partial to Intel or AMD, but I don't want to have to upgrade every year. Built my pc in 2007.

PC SPECS:
CASE: ANTEC NINE HUNDRED
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX
DVD BURNER: SAMSUNG SH-S203B
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA SE
CPU: INTEL C2D E6750 2.66G
HD: 250G WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD2500KSRTL
MOUSE: LOGITECH|G5 LASER USB
MEM: 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GB
Keyboard: Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
CPU COOLER: TUNIQ Tower 120
GPU: ATI HD 4000 series gpu, not sure which one.

If it makes sense to change out everything, that's fine. Please help me find the best price for components. would like to stay ~$700. Want to be able to play CSS/WoW/FFXIV if possible. THanks!

ok, here's what you can save out of those parts for a modern gaming PC:

the Case, the DVD Burner (Maybe, IDE is fading fast), you keyboard and mouse, MAYBE the cooler.

the rest, replace.

at 700, not needing a case, I'd suggest an AMD Phenom II 955 if you want to overclock, the new 970 if you don't, an 880 GM motherboard, 4 GB of DDR3 1333 or 1600 RAM, (2x2GB dual Channel), a 500 GB or 1 TB hard drive, a new PSU (the old one might work, but its 3 years old, I'd rather get a new one), and a GTX 460 1 GB video card.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
You could keep the power supply as well if you are just going to add one new graphics card. That's a decent quality power supply; it should be good for at least another 3 years (it's still under warranty for another 2 by the looks of it).

There is nothing outdated about your case.

Sell that DDR2 while you can. It still catches a premium on ebay (~$50) and would pay for the majority of the cost of a new DDR3 kit.

You should also be able to get a decent payback on your processor and motherboard (~$100).

Keep the cooler to save money. Its performance is still respectable. If you want to go for a really high overclock, you can get a new cooler later.

You can keep the SATA DVD Burner and hard drive. You will want a faster new primary hard drive or an SSD boot drive.

Obviously you can keep the keyboard and mouse if they aren't worn out.