Sign in with
Your question

Custom build pc - spec check

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2010 7:27:03 PM

Hi all,

My first post here, but long time reader :) 

I'm about to buy my new baby and just wanted to run the components past people to double check the compatibility.

Processor: Intel CPU i7 875K OC Quad Core Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7
Graphics: Asus NVIDIA GTX 480
Hard Drive: 120GB SSD OCZ Technology Vertex 2 Solid State Drive
Case: Coolermaster case Cosmos 1000
PSU: Coolermaster 1000 W Silent Pro Gold
RAM: G-Skill 4GB Ripjaws DDR3 PC12800-1600Mhz Cas7 Kit

I haven't shopped around for the best price yet, but those components there come to around £1350.00 (about $2000). I also plan on adding a cheap DVD drive and network card, which shouldn't add more than another £50. I have an external USB 2.5" HDD which i'll be using for storing data.

Is there anything that I look like I have missed?

I'm planning on going with the stock heat sink / fans etc. as I don't plan to overclock for a few years, when I'll also probably buy a 2nd GTX 480 - hence the hi spec mobo and PSU.

Thank you,
T.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 24, 2010 9:20:44 PM

The motherboard has two network cards integrated.

You need a hard drive in addition to the SSD. It wont do a good job for you if you try to use it for everything.
September 24, 2010 10:53:29 PM

Sorry, I meant to specify I will be purchasing a wireless network card.

As for the SSD, that's for the O.S. and some apps/games. All my data will be on my external USB drive.
Related resources
September 25, 2010 1:41:16 AM

the GTX480 is really not a good value for the performance. In fact, 2 GTX460s in SLI give MUCH better performance, and at less cost, than 1 GTX480. Of course, this requires you to have an SLI ready motherboard, which that one that you have picked out is.

of course, if you're planning on adding a second GTX480 later on, then this point is moot, but if you're planning on using a single gtx480 configuration, then you should definitely take a look at this article from Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli...

Other than that, everything should be fine, though I don't know if you really need 1000W for the configuration that you have, unless you're planning on SLIing in the future with 2x gtx480s...in which case, I think you actually will need MORE power than 1000W...as 2 gtx480s are power hogs like you've never seen before.
September 25, 2010 9:08:02 AM

Well the 1200W version of the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold PSU is available so I can always get that.

Any comments on whether to bother with getting a CPU cooler or just use the stock heatsink and fan? At least until I overclock in a few years.
September 25, 2010 3:46:50 PM

Although I've read on a few websites 1kw is enough, so I may just go with that. Any thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2010 4:15:33 PM

I would get a good inexpensive CPU cooler. It will be quieter and cool better than the stock one.
Kingwin 1264, Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus, Xigmatek Balder, Scythe Mugen 2 (SCMG-2100)
!