Hopefully just fried the motherboard

jakeou812

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I may have fried the cpu.

This started a few years ago. My computer seemed kind of unstable, even without overclocking. I bought a new thermaltake pure power 600 to replace my antec 550 psu. It may have helped a little, but still seemed a bit un reliable. I'd get bluescreens sometimes. I experimented with overclocking and overclocked my cpu just a little. from 3.2 to 3.34. prime 95 ran ok. about a month ago, my pc just stopped. I put my old antec back on and it worked. paperlip in the thermaltake shows it not working.

After about a day, my power supply started making weird static noises, when I moved the mouse around. The static like sounds seemed to match when my cpu was under load.

I tried opening up the power supply and left it outside the case while still connected and ran it that way. It was right on the carpet. A spark arced out of the power supply into the carpet and the computer stopped. The antec still works with a paperlip test, but PC wont start.

The light red light near the 24 pin connector comes on as usual but no fans. The cpu light I think used to be green, but now it flashes red for just a second, and goes off. no beeps. I know I probably need a mobo, but do you think my cpu is fried?

jakeou812

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I know for sure I need a new mobo, but wondered if I should get one for my cpu, or just start over. If my cpu is fried, then I have more options when selecting a mobo, but I'm not sure if the cpu is still good or not. Don't have a compatible mobo to test it on.

I have a feeling my mobo didn't handle my memory well. I had to adjust the voltage up, to make it even boot. I think it was made more stable when I overclocked it because I had to turn the memory down (or something like that).

jakeou812

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I have an athlon x2 6400 3.2. and ddr2 800 4gigs. I'm planning on buying a new motherboard. I haven't got a chance to take the cpu out and look at it yet and don;t know if I'd be able to see anything anyway.