Sign in with
Your question

SSD Freezing on BIOS from cold boot Dell GX270 - help?

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2013 1:19:15 PM

Hello

I recently bought a new SSD CT128M4SSD2 over the holidays and gleefully installed it onto my PC hoping to retire my IDE drives

I installed Windows XP SP3 Pro no problems, updated all the drivers I could find and was running smoothly on it.

Able to restart the PC no problem

The issue happens when "cold booting" - my computer freezes on the BIOS screen with the Dell logo and the progress bar getting to the end and sitting there.

I let it sit for 10 minutes before powering down and restarting, then it worked and went through.

Everytime I shut the computer down for more then 5 minutes, I get the same issue with the BIOS freezing.

I took out the SSD and was running 2 ATA IDE drives no problem at all for a week.

Re-installed the SSD and freezing again.

I have tried pulling everything from the computer (video card, sound card, minimum ram, no keyboard or mouse etc) leaving only the SSD and video card and the computer still freezes on the BIOS screen

I tried switching to a different SATA cable still same issue

Its really odd that the computer runs just fine with the IDE drives

The SSD runs fine too in Windows XP (I need to hit CTRL ALT DEL when the BIOS screen freezes to get into WinXP), restarts fine

Just when I start the computer after leaving it sitting for a while

System specs are as follows

Dell Optiplex GX270
Nvidia AGP Video card
Sound Blaster live sound card
3Com Ethernet card
3GB Ram
P4 3.0

SSD: CT128M4SSD2

Does anyone have any idea?

Its a terrible annoyance to have to boot the computer and restart it right away

Thanks and happy new years folks
a c 86 G Storage
January 3, 2013 2:52:57 PM

Try to change the cmos battery. It might be empty and the bios looses it's config after being disconnected from power.
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:48:20 PM

Thanks for the reply

I will give that a shot, but im a bit doubtful that is the issue

I do not unplug it when I shut down, all I do is go to the start menu and shut down leaving it plugged in.

So power is pretty much always going through

Was debating flashing the bios (its the latest one)......
m
l
January 21, 2013 3:01:45 PM

rodneyc8063 said:
Thanks for the reply

I will give that a shot, but im a bit doubtful that is the issue

I do not unplug it when I shut down, all I do is go to the start menu and shut down leaving it plugged in.

So power is pretty much always going through

Was debating flashing the bios (its the latest one)......

Did you get it to work? I have an old gx270 that I was considering to replace the ide drive with a ssd. Not sure if it would work though. It is the back-up to a back-up computer so it doesn't get used much but it still works. I've just started the 'google' process to gather intel....
m
l
!