Mahoney10

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi,

i know there must be a load of threads about this by now, having looked through most of them already but i am still having issues with my HDD. I recently built a new PC and have decided to take my 1Tb storage drive from my old system and install in this new system as to transfer my data. The BIOS does not seem to be recognising the HDD despite it still being recognised in the old system. Windows boots from an SSD which is detected fine and the system boots to windows but there is no evidence of the old storage drive showing. WHy would the HDD work on my old system and not on the new one? I've tried changing all the cables to ones i know and have tested them working on other drives. I have also updated my Motherboard BIOS to the most up to date version. Any ideas folks?

Help is much appreciated,
Ryan

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
which operating system are you using? For Windows 8 I had the same issue. It seems to stem from Windows 8 not assigning a drive letter to the HDD. going to Disk Management and assigned a letter to the hard drive solved the problem. try this:

Hit Windows Key + R (Run)
Run diskmgmt.msc
Right click on the drive that is not appearing
Select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'
Assign the drive a letter.

Mahoney10

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for your input. After checking the drive again there seems to be no power getting to it. I changed the cables around, to the one that was working on the SDD and it still does not receive any power. I also tried the HDD in the old system where is works perfectly fine. Any other ideas?

Mahoney10

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
thanks japps2, have tried both of your suggestions and have realised that the HDD only spinns when there is not a SATA cable in the back. Quite puzzling to me. If i turn on without a SATA cable in the back of the HDD it spins up, if i plugg on in and start up the PC it doesn't spin.

Mahoney10

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Edit to the above: When i leave the SATA cable out for bootup the HDD spins and when i put the SATA cable into the HDD once windows is loaded, it installs the drive and then it is available. But why is it not starting up when the SATA cable is in during boot?

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
do you have a newer motherboard? make sure if you do that you're not plugging into the SATA 6gb/s port...you need the older SATA II port if it's an older drive. what motherboard do you have? what hard drive is it? Is it formatted AHCI or IDE?

Mahoney10

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
It is a brand new motherboard but the HDD is an older model
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 970A-DS3 FX 3.1
HDD: Samsung HD193SJ 1Tb

The motherboard is currently set to IDE but can be changed

Shaikhs Fear

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
maybe it is your hardrive problem if the hardrive is spinning and not showing in the boot menu may be it is the problem of bad firmware of the hardrive you can RMA your hardrive by its manufacturer