Another GTX 470 vs HD 5850 thread (this one is different)

clintonkeenan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I have read the forums on the battle between these cards and have come out with the knowledge that the;

GTX 470:
Performs better on most games
Runs Hotter
Uses more power
Is more expensive

HD 5850:
Performs slightly worse
Runs quiter and cooler
Uses less power
Is less expensive

But:
With my shop, they supply 470's suprisingly cheap, and coupled with their free shipping makes it the same price as the 5850...

I would like some unbiased opinions on the fact that the cards are the same price and would like some info on overclocking ability, speeds, cons, pros, so on.

Thanks very much in advance

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i would go with the 5850. i dislike the 470/480. too much heat/power/noise.

however, the best option would be a 460 (only slightly behind, but less heat/power/noise), if you can add a second some time later on, you can get excellent performance.

clintonkeenan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Why shouldn't I bump my own thread?
Don't want to be a dick but I just want to get an answer for my question and don't want my thread to become inactive and forgotten...
Sorry if I'm wrong.

Seeing as they're nearly the same price, I'd go for the GTX 470 if your PSU can handle it. Yes, the card runs hot but most designs blow hot air out of the case so high temperatures aren't too much of a problem, i.e., the GPU will run hot but it won't affect other component temperatures much, if at all, either.

Note that the fan can be quite loud at > 60 % or so from what I've heard with the GTX 470, so if noise is a major concern then you'd be better off with the HD 5850.

Because you've been asked not to in the RoC.
Don't...

* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"

Source.

^Now you know and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!. This Forum is heavily monitored, which is why I like it so much. It keeps the real riffraff out. The George Burns Monkey is a good man. He is just keeping the natives in line. haha.

What does the rest of your system look like? What power supply do you have? That case and cooling setup do you have? Sure the GTX470 runs hot, but it is something we all have to just accepts. It is a powerful card and does alot of things, its a large GPU. I think if I would be installing a 470, I'd probably add an extra fan or two just for good measure to ensure it is cool. That probably isn't needed, but I'm weird like that. I still think I'd take that card over a 5850 if the prices were the same, which they are right now.