"Sony VAIO U Series" Positive/Negative?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2005 2:40:00 AM

If anyone has a "Sony VAIO U Series" (U50, 70 or 71) already I'd be
interested to hear what you like/dislike and which accessories you think are
useful. I'm keen to buy one but will be buying "blind" over the net as Sony
NZ probably aren't going to sell them here.

http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2004/12/view_sony_vaio_.html
--
Regards,
Robin Capper

"Robin Capper" <robin.capper.design@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> If anyone has a "Sony VAIO U Series" (U50, 70 or 71) already I'd be
> interested to hear what you like/dislike and which accessories you think
> are useful. I'm keen to buy one but will be buying "blind" over the net as
> Sony NZ probably aren't going to sell them here.

Have you tried Google? There are tons of reviews on the 'net. Here's a
good one:
http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/07/sony_u70...

You might also consider joining the Yahoo! VaioU70 group:

Unless you don't mind dealing with Japanese software (Windows and drivers)
and hardware (keyboard), or you really prefer the U71's 30 GB hard drive,
you are probably better off getting the Merkin model VGN-U750P (except for
the 20 GB hard drive, and the English keyboard and software, it's identical
to the U71).

What I like about the U750P:
- small and light (compared to traditional notebooks)
- built-in 802.11b/g
- Pentium M 1.1 GHz processor
- 512 MB RAM
- convenient folding keyboard with Trackpoint-type pointer mouse
- plays DivX, XviD, etc files better than any 'portable media player'

What I don't like:
- rather pricy
- relatively small hard drive - 20 GB
- will only boot from a limited number of external devices (USB floppy
drives and certain Sony iLink CD/DVD drives)
- the supplied stylus
- no built-in Bluetooth
- no PC Card slot (but there's a CF slot which can function as a crippled
16-bit PCMCIA slot)
- tbe only A/V input/output is a headphone jack (no mike, S-video or
composite vid)
- relatively low internal resolution of 800 x 600
- 1394 connector on dock only

Accessories that *I* consider useful:
- an external bus-powered USB hard drive for extra storage
- a CF Bluetooth adapter
- the double-capacity battery ($$$)
- touch-screen protector
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 5:00:22 AM

Thanks, familiar with the reviews & JK's site but appreciate the info you've
supplied.
--

news:p vydncMwiYkXAUrcRVn-3A@comcast.com...

!