How important to match router and PCI card brands?

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
I have read various feedback on these forums that it's better to match a wireless PCI card to the brand of router that you have. I have a Netgear router and was looking to match but most of the Netgear PCI cards on Newegg have terrible ratings.

Looking for some feedback on whether it really is important to match these two components regarding brand or if I should just look for the best rated PCI card, regardless of brand. Thanks!

Solution
If you are using Netgear - any other brands would work... but if you are using the new Cisco Linksys products - you may have to get the same for optimum performance, but any other brands should work...

Most big brands use either Ralink or RealTek chipsets for their wireless chipsets...

All parts are made to standards which make them compatible regardless of manufacture. As you say, go for the best if you want high performance but the best isn't always the most expensive.[/#000ff]

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
If you are using Netgear - any other brands would work... but if you are using the new Cisco Linksys products - you may have to get the same for optimum performance, but any other brands should work...

Most big brands use either Ralink or RealTek chipsets for their wireless chipsets...

Solution