how can I change computer name

Hi all,
i bought a refurbished laptop that runs XP home SP2.
I was able o change the computer name, and the registration name to mine.
but still anytime i send a job to the network printer or to put my password
from the screen saver is still displays valued customer. welcome scree also
displays my name.
Does anybody have any idea how to change this w/o reinstalling the XP?
Thanks
K.C.

P.S:I did right click my computer>properties>change the name from that. I
also used regedit32 to modify the user information from valued customer to
mine.
2 answers Last reply
More about change computer name

    In news:83F99A5D-5CD5-4F12-A555-60C8776DA082@microsoft.com,
    K.C. <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i bought a refurbished laptop that runs XP home SP2.
    > I was able o change the computer name, and the registration
    > name to
    > mine. but still anytime i send a job to the network printer or
    > to put
    > my password from the screen saver is still displays valued
    > customer.
    > welcome scree also displays my name.
    > Does anybody have any idea how to change this w/o reinstalling
    > the XP?

    In my opinion, reinstalling Windows XP is exactly what you should
    do.

    If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
    idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
    installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
    there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
    mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
    wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you for your quick reply,
    you made a good point that i would have never thought!
    the reason i did not do a clean install that i bought the computer from
    ubid.com and came with toshiba's own warranty, i thought they did their
    homework.
    I will do the clean install then.
    Thanks again for the head's up.
    K.C.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:83F99A5D-5CD5-4F12-A555-60C8776DA082@microsoft.com,
    > K.C. <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > i bought a refurbished laptop that runs XP home SP2.
    > > I was able o change the computer name, and the registration
    > > name to
    > > mine. but still anytime i send a job to the network printer or
    > > to put
    > > my password from the screen saver is still displays valued
    > > customer.
    > > welcome scree also displays my name.
    > > Does anybody have any idea how to change this w/o reinstalling
    > > the XP?
    >

    > In my opinion, reinstalling Windows XP is exactly what you should
    > do.
    >
    > If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    > would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
    > idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
    > installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
    > there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
    > mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
    > wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Computers Windows XP