Your question

Can hard drives been damage by static?

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2013 4:45:19 PM

Can hard drives been damage by static?

Thanks
a b G Storage
January 3, 2013 4:46:16 PM

Yes. The components on the circuit board exposed to the air are sensitive to static electricity.
January 3, 2013 4:51:42 PM

okay thanks, i have picked up my hard drive many times before i know about static (this was when im learning about computers and static)
tomorrow i am building my first computer and i was going to use my very olds desktop hard drive. but i've handled it quite alot without grounding myself, do you think it would still works? i dont think i've touched the circuit board much.
Related resources
January 3, 2013 5:02:23 PM

plus the circuit board is covered up by metal you can only see a tiny bit and thats where the screws are
a b G Storage
January 3, 2013 6:29:05 PM

As you are building, either get a wrist strap for a few bucks or touch the case often.
January 3, 2013 8:34:36 PM

^ that aint my question :L
a b G Storage
January 3, 2013 8:39:00 PM

Uh, well, try it and see!
January 3, 2013 8:40:09 PM

Unless you rubbed your feet on carpet and then touched some exposed circuit chances are it'll be fine, and if it not it the hdd simply won't worked. It only takes a minute to find that one out.
January 3, 2013 8:43:12 PM

okay thanks, also to grounded myself could i put my spare oldish case on the floor and touch it with my feet, would that ground myself? :L sorry if i sound a bit nooby, it's cuz it's my first build and i'm kinda scared about static and messing it up.
!