Closed Solved

New GPU and Monitor

Well I have quite a bit of extra grand money from college this semester, so I'm wondering what monitor & GPU I should get?

budget is about 900 USD maybe little more or less but looking at 900 total for both.

Looked at the 5970 but IDK not a lot of room for a monitor then (not that I couldn't save for one) and would be a damn shame if i didn't get atleast 1920 x 1080 hoping for 1920 x 1200

Thanks in advance guys :bounce:
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor
  1. What does the rest of your system look like? Just make sure you can handle a 5970. If you can run SLI there are some interesting combos that you can go for. Unless you want a single card. I have a 5970 and I love it. It is a LONG card though, I had to remove my hard drive cage to allow it to fit in my mid size case.

$650 free shipping Sapphire 5970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102887
    $210 + $10 shipping Asus 23" 2ms 1920x1080 w/ swivel and adjustable base http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236065
    TOTAL $870
  2. Amazing reply man!!

My system can fit it I made sure that I could handle any card when i made it and I have a Crossfire IV so I would need some hacked drivers for SLI and IDK where to find some, and that is a very nice monitor too, I find it hard to find a good price on a 1920 x 1200

EDIT:

CPU: AMD X4 965 BE Revision C3 @stock
    PSU: 750W Silencer, has enough 8 and 6 pins for anything...
    Case: Hades NXZT
    MOBO: Crossfire IV
    HDD: Some Seagate at 10,000 not important looking at some SSD for OS and games
  3. Best answer
    The 1920x1200 TN panel displays are starting to really vanish. All the new ones are 1920x1080. I guess because it is a native "HD" resolution and they can market it better or something. The 1920x1200 displays are still the choice for IPS panel displays, but they are $500+ and aren't as fast for games.

That Asus is the one I looked at but talked myself out of it. I am still running on a 3+ year old 1680x1050 Dell 22". It was great at the time and for $300 was a steal. It still does a good job, but can't get myself to drop the money right now. Anyways, I like that one because its a good panel and it has a swivel and height adjustable base, which is rare anymore in the normal ol TN panel displays.

You have the same PSU that I have and it runs the 5970 like a champ, no problem. It would probably run a 2nd if you wanted. It is probably more than what I need, but I sorta acquired it from ASUS after they screwed up my RMA 4 times on a 5870 :-P
  4. Very lucky of you, only thing is I for some reason can't bring myself to like the sapphire 5970, I mean there isn't anything different about it but I just love the way the XFX one looks but is it worth the extra 60$ just for a lifetime warranty that is transferable? I also don't hate the idea of a GTX 480 but the one I would want to get so that it wasn't loud would be an AMP version so SLI would be impossible i think (on top of the fact that I need hacked drivers)
  5. There is no real difference besides the stickers. But Yeah the warranty is something to look at. I have an Asus and it's great. There aren't to many factory modded 5970's though. The ones that are, are really expensive.
  6. Best answer selected by sowexly.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs College Monitors Graphics Product