My heatsink doesnt fit my motherboard

BrotherCanYouSpareADime

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hello,
I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It is supposed to be compatible with AM3, and the processor I have is a AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka. The Motherboard I'm using is an ASRock 870 Extreme 3, an AM3 board. Problem is, the back plate that comes with the cooler, a solid, unadjustable piece of metal, spreads about 1 inch wider than the corresponding holes in the motherboard. The only thing I can figure is that the cooler is not compatible with the motherboard. Is there something I'm missing here, some trick that will allow me to fit the cooler to the board? If not, could I get some suggestions of other heatsinks that WILL fit this board? Thanks a bunch.

BrotherCanYouSpareADime

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for your help. My problem stems from watching a how-to video that newegg posted on the product page. Turns out that it described how to install on an Intel system, but was silent on how to install on AM3 Mobo. However, I received kind help from a frostytech technician who explained that you have to use different holes in the mounting back plate than the ones shown on the video. After I tried this I had no problem installing heatsink. Again, thanks for helping.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Are you sure you have the mount facing the right way? The back plate is meant to be used on Intel and AMD based mobos. Try flipping the back plate upside down (opposite of the way you tried it before) and see if they line up.

Edit: oops, didn't see you already answered!

TRENDING THREADS