Sign in with
Your question

Custom PC Build Check

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2010 12:57:54 AM

Hey all,

Long time reader - first time posting. I'm working on building my first computer and am no stranger to technology. I would just like some opinions as to what I've picked out so far. My goal is to have a gaming computer which will last me several years and is also "upgradable" and potentially do some mild OCing.

Processor: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: Thinking Nvidia GTX 460
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
(Would this be enough power to SLI & OC if I ever wanted to?)
RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
(Is it worth paying the extra for this ram to get Tri Channeling?)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

This (and HDDs etc.) totals up to about $1200 which is about where I’m looking to stay. Any thought’s, suggestions, comments are much appreciated

Thanks!

More about : custom build check

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 1:04:05 AM

That PSU will be fine for a SLI on GTX460 1GB (recommended over 768Mb). With socket 1366 go triple channel, so I guess it is worth it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 2:13:59 AM

Great build, but I would change a few aspects in terms of price.

Consider changing back to 1156, upgradability isn't a big thing as when you plan to upgrade, the 980X would be outdated anyways.

A i5 750/760 + P55 + 4GB Dual channel saves you $200+ in terms of platform cost for not much of a sacrifice in gaming performance.

Then, the HX isnt the best price/performance PSUs out there nowadays. Look for XFX PSUs on the lower end and the Seasonic X/ Corsair AX for the higher end. Honestly 650W is enough for 460SLI and OC with room to spare.

Finally, the case. Personally Id go for a 690, or a HAF, maybe even a Phantom or a Raven instead of the 902, but its your choice.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 2:38:28 AM

miattei said:
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
(Would this be enough power to SLI & OC if I ever wanted to?)

That power supply would be plenty powerful for two GTX 460s and a decent overclock.
miattei said:
RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
(Is it worth paying the extra for this ram to get Tri Channeling?)

Definitely use triple channel memory. You could probably make due with 3GB kit, but it would be better to have 6GB later on. Adding more memory later could be troublesome; mixing and matching memory kits can cause problems.
m
l
September 25, 2010 2:56:25 PM

brennon7 said:
This is a solid $1000 build and will out perform your build.... I was keeping it under 1k i would change the ram to 1600mhz and 1.65v for a few extra bucks.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Thanks for the build spec. I like it but I don't think it's really worth it to SLI vs price / power that you get from doing it. I'm keeping the option open in the future but I think I'm better off spending money on something else. Personally I think its worth spending more on the PSU 1) for modular and 2) if it frys more than likely your whole build is toast! I also found my Processor for only 250$ (not 300$ on newegg) and I'm thinking that for the extra power it's worth it.
m
l
September 25, 2010 2:58:43 PM

wielander said:
That power supply would be plenty powerful for two GTX 460s and a decent overclock.

Definitely use triple channel memory. You could probably make due with 3GB kit, but it would be better to have 6GB later on. Adding more memory later could be troublesome; mixing and matching memory kits can cause problems.

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree that getting dual and then trying to go to tri later would be more trouble than it's worth (might as well do it now). Any suggestions for good kits?
m
l
September 25, 2010 3:04:50 PM

Still looking for help on a Video Card, the one item I know least about and there is the most to know about. The plan right now is to play SC2 at max specs, max resolution but in the future who knows! Something comparable to the 460 (or a recommended 460) would be great!

Also any thought's on the MoBo? I've read a few forums saying that one might not worth it.
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:53:24 PM

miattei said:
Thanks for the build spec. I like it but I don't think it's really worth it to SLI vs price / power that you get from doing it.
LMFAO are you nuts?

GTX 460 Price/Power is off the charts...it outperforms the $500 gtx 480...

You're wasting your money on the i7... much better spent on second GPU..it will double your frame rates.. will the i7 over the i5 double your frame rates?

m
l
September 25, 2010 6:28:55 PM

I completely agree -- WTF is an i7-9XX doing in a gaming build, especially one that's not SLIing dual 480s or something.
m
l
!