Homebuild does not display anything or beep - HELP

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hi guys, im hoping you can help me with a problem I am facing.

I decided to try and build myself my first gaming rig, I followed all instructions TO THE LETTER, made sure all parts were compatible (1156 Socket mobo with a core i5 760, and I had an adequate powersupply (700W OCZ). Now, I just put everything together and I am re-using a hard drive from a old computer from before. I plugged everything in, I power it on and the fans come to life and LED's come on, but nothing is displayed on the screen. I got a GTX460, Gigabyte GA-P55A UD4P Mobo, 2x2GB Corsair 1600mhz ram, and an OCZ 700W Modular PSU, Core i5 760, and a HAF922 as a case.
I turn the computer on and all I get is lights and fans, thats it. The GPU is properly seated, the 2 6pin power connectors are plugged in, the CPU and the heatsink are mounted and seated properly. the mobo is plugged in with power etc. But all I get are lights and fans, nothing on the screen.

Now, could this be because I am using a hard drive with an OS and files installed to it and the mobo is trying to boot from it, or have I done something wrong? Please help me out guys n girls, I really want to play computer games:p

Solution
I had a similiar problem,and changing the ram slots helped.Say,there are black and gray slots(2 gray and 2 black) and yours are installed to the blacks,try installing them to the gray ones.

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I had a similiar problem,and changing the ram slots helped.Say,there are black and gray slots(2 gray and 2 black) and yours are installed to the blacks,try installing them to the gray ones.

Solution

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Im not sure how, but that fixed it! I read the manual on my mobo and it said I had to put the ram in slots 1 and 3, but I tried 2 and 4 and it booted! Words cannot express how happy I am right now, thank you so much!