Program Files After Installing A New CPU

archey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Am i able to keep my Program Files, and Program Files (x86) folder, along with the program after installing a new CPU?

archey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I am also going to installing a new mobo, and ram, to go with my AM3 socket cpu im getting.

archey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Okay, but will i be able to save my programs, as in copy paste back into old directories?

Also which cpu is better

http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.product_details&product_id=7990&flypage=flypage_nostock.tpl&pop=0

or

http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.product_details&product_id=4493&flypage=flypage_nostock.tpl&pop=0

It depends on what you do. Do you need the extra cores? How do you use your computer? Are the programs you use multithreaded and able to make use of the extra cores? Are you a heavy multitasker? If you can answer yes to any of those questions, I would get the X6. If you mostly game, light office or home use, the X4 will suit your needs perfectly.

You will have to reinstall everything from scratch.

archey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
okay, well ill probably get X6 is its isnt much more and i do multitask, and plan on boxing WoW.

And im prepared to re-install, though as my computer doesnt work right now as my mobo or cpu has gone bad, is there anyway to back up any data before re-installing? what about saving games in my program files (x86) folder

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Problem is different programs store data all over the place so you may have trouble getting everything. What I would do is make a backup of the entire drive, and then when you reinstall, you can pull whatever configuration files you need off of the backup if you need to. At least back up "Program Files" and "Users" directories and you'll probably get most of it. Chances are you'll have to do a web search to find program-specific instructions to restore. Just think about what configurations you really care about... like bookmarks and your photos and stuff. Maybe save files for games, but then again you could always play them again from the beginning

archey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

So i wouldnt just be able to copy WoW to my external HDD, then once install is done, copy back? Also yeah i need to save bookmarks etc, and yeah i have all my singleplayer save data backed up, just i dont wanna have to re download all my games on steam (40+)