Missing OS and Shutdowns

Invictar

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,
So recently I had a spree of missing operating systems using vista, during my checking of the connections and cleaning the case (first place I start always) I see all the fans are in operation and then checked the sata cable. Side note noticed the vid card was running super hot so swapped the card for a older one I have and still experienced random shutdowns and the occasional missing OS.

So figured diferent card heat seems okay, I had some power flicker issues a few months back and thinking I corrupted some OS files during that. So I went for upgrade to windows 7 with a reformat booted up fine loaded antivirus software then loaded google chrome as soon as it started install it would power down, then typically say Missing OS a few reboots after. Now I am running a chkdsk /r hoping to see what it comes up with but this has really stumped me. New OS and the upgrade had the reformat option, tho it went so fast I have a feeling it did not reformat lol

Anyone have any thoughts on Missing OS and random power downs

Invictar

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
some more info, seems installing anything tends to power it down.
Currently looking into a bad stick of ram, not sure this could cause missing OS messages on boot up and installing/usage causing the pc to power down but anything is worth a shot lol

Invictar

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
ran a memtest and chkdsk /r with nothing detected so far. Power is fine that was a old issue in the house that is resolved now (was on a battery then but you never know)