Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Phenom ii x3 vs Phenom ii x6

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2010 8:28:07 AM

I plan on playing crysis 2. I currently have a Phenom ii x3 720 black edition. I have biostar A770E3 with 2x2gb Gskill ripjaw, saphire 6850, OCZ 60 gb agility 2 series SSD, and a 500 wt PSU. I'm wondering if upgrading to a phenom ii x6 1055t or 1075t. I'm wondering what would be the performance increase, since crysis 2 will (99.9% sure) be the new measuring stick when it comes out. I have a 500 gig WD to store the game on. Feel free to be a critic :sol: , but i don't have a ton of money. (Side note: will another 2x2gb Gskill ripjaw make a small difference)

More about : phenom phenom

December 20, 2010 8:39:24 AM

Crysis 2 is supposed to be optimized for up to 8 cores so there's a good chance the x6 may run it significantly better than your current x3.

However, depending on your resolution you'll likely be bottlenecked by your graphics card as obviously the original Crysis was heavily GPU reliant and likely the sequel will be as well.

Your system is pretty well balanced as it is - and I wouldn't be rushing out to add more ram or change out the CPU, just grab a cheap and effect CPU cooler and overclock what you have now.

The x6's are only going to drop in price (and more than your x3 will depreciate too making it worth the wait) between now and when Crysis 2 is released (March?) so wait and see.
Score
December 20, 2010 8:52:03 AM

resolution i plan on using is 1920x1080, but from the looks of it i may be stepping down to 1680x1050
Score
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 9:56:57 AM

+1 to what nerdbox said, I don't think any upgrade will make much difference and an overclock will most likely do more.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2010 10:36:49 AM

I've just upgraded from an AMD 720BE X3 to an AMD 1090T X6. The difference is quite noticable on a few of todays games so I would have thought you would see a difference on Crysis 2 when it's out.

I used to run my 720BE at 3.6GHz, and now run my 1090T at 4.0GHz so the clock speeds will have an effect on my results though.

The 720BE is a very good chip, and when overclocked to 3.4+ it performs to the same level as AMD's high-end quad cores. There was even talk of AMD stopping making the 720BE for that very reason - not sure if they followed it up.

I would agree with both nerdbox and simon - overclock your current chip and it'll run just fine.. it's your GPU that you need to worry about with Crysis 2 at 1080p.
Score
December 20, 2010 1:32:55 PM

keep the opinions/comments coming :) , i want to make this a definitive answer for anyone that wants to check on it. what do you guys think the min/max for playing crysis 2 would be. the developers said they're gonna make it run MUCH better than the original while still having a nice polished game. I look forward to the future responses. (the responses so far are great btw :p  )
Score
a c 113 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 3:28:44 PM

I suspect by March the lust you hold for your significant other will be exceeded (and replaced) by your heat for the new AMD 990FX AM3+ motherboard.

That, by the way, your x3 PhII and DDR3 should fit comfortably. From there, it's up to you.

But will 2xHD6850s and BD Zambezi will run CrysisII?

:lol: 

Score
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 7:47:53 AM

The X3 is still a brilliant chip. I don't think you've need to upgrade to a full quad core if you can overclock the 720BE. You wouldn't see any difference in games (or nothing that warrants the money). The only thing you'd see a difference with if you got a X4 instead of a X3 would be better multitasking outside of gaming.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 22, 2010 2:57:12 AM

if you are curious about different cpu's I'd suggest checking out anadtech's bench:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

it will allow you to compare different CPU's across games, productivity applications, ect.. that way you can really see the numbers.

It also has a GPU, and SSD section for comparison.
December 29, 2010 2:15:54 AM

Best answer selected by warlord435.
Score
December 31, 2010 11:12:24 PM

KBentley57 said:
if you are curious about different cpu's I'd suggest checking out anadtech's bench:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

it will allow you to compare different CPU's across games, productivity applications, ect.. that way you can really see the numbers.

It also has a GPU, and SSD section for comparison.

Thanks for this awesome site. I have been looking for something like this for a long time :pt1cable: 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 12:26:06 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the best answer!
Score
January 1, 2011 12:31:22 PM

tyvm for the info. i usually just prowl for the answers, but decided to make an account so i could be active on the site :) , tom's has an extensive network of "experts" :D 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 8:12:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!