Win7 crash on netbook with a SSD HELP!!!!!

papasmurf2413

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hello all! this may be long, so stick with me, because i really could use some help..

I have installed a 2gb RAM upgrade, network card, AND SSD into my Intel atom n450 netbook found here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-One-532-Netbook.25851.0.html

I installed a fresh copy of windows 7 32 bit through my desktop @ home (dont worry i unplugged my other drives), and the installation process was halted a few times by win7 freezing, etc.. that's not a big deal, but i figured i'd mention it.

so my installation finally went through, and i'm looking @ the windows desktop, OK. I restart, unplug the SSD, pop it in my netbook, and when the dang thing tries to load windows it instantly BSOD's and restarts. One of the fast BSOD's i can't get a good look @ the error code.

The SSD works flawlessly in my PC, and my original netbook HDD works flawlessly in the netbook with the RAM and network card upgrades, which leads me to believe there is a possible firmware conflict the netbook has with the SSD, or some sort of software malfunction something or other

I could really use some help on what steps I could take to fix this dang thing, I've done dozens of windows installs on dozens of comps and I can't figure this out =(((((

My SSD is the Sandisk Extreme 120

found here

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Gb-s2-5-Inch-Solid-SDSSDX-120G-G25/dp/B006EKJCWM

thanks for reading all, i really appreciate it.

Going to go with "The chipset in the PC is different than the chipset in the netbook so all the drivers Windows installed are wrong." That'd be my first swipe at it. You could load the Windows iso on a thumb drive and install Windows straight to the SSD while it's in the netbook.

papasmurf2413

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I had unplugged my ethernet cable from my PC, so the network had not been setup on the SSD, nor had any drivers been installed... unless i don't understand what you were saying.. I need to go buy a USB drive to do that since all mine were stolen @ school, I'd much rather be able to fix this another way

thank you for the reply, much appreciated

papasmurf2413

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

no ***??? damn! I've been doing this for 5 years and I'm still noob enough to not know that lol,

I will go buy a USB drive and try again, I'll post back with whatever happens.

Thanks for the reply jed, very helpful

any other suggestions please post!!!!!!!

MC_K7

Distinguished
Why did you install Windows on a SSD in your desktop if it was to put in a netbook??? It's a recipe for problems and instability so it's no surprise you get a BSOD.

Why don't you install Windows directly on the netbook with the SSD inside?

What J_E_D_70 was trying to explain to you is that the motherboard in your desktop probably doesn't use the same chipset and disk controller as in your netbook. You cannot transfer a hard drive with a Windows installation from one computer to another and expect Windows to work (unless both computers have very similar chipset and disk controller).

Just make a new clean installation of Windows directly on the netbook with the SSD inside and you shouldn't have any problem.

EddyDerr

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Sorry MC, through no real fault of your own, you are not correct. Your criticism here is certainly in line with current wisdom, but not with reality.

Many SSDs (Intel 330 series , for example) are giving users big problems with Windows 7, causing a repeating cycle of BSOD/reboot that begins before a full install can be accomplished in the normal fashion. One of the work-arounds that has sometimes been successful has been to install Windows 7 onto another hdd using any pc at all and cloning it onto the ssd. So, papasmurf's method may have worked.

The method often does not work, too. After a few minutes using such an install, the pc once again enters an infinite BSOD/reboot cycle. Furtherm the problem is caused by an incompatibility with wininit.exe, which is a Windows essential process. Regrettably, Intel and other manufacturers seem to refuse to do anything about it, ignoring pleas for assistance, and rendering these drives useless, ripping off customers with glee.