Closed Solved

AM2 vs AM2+

I need to know if this is a good upgrade:

From
Athlon 64 X2 6000+, AM2

To
AMD Phenom II X4 2.80GHz, AM2+

Plz don't suggest an alternative core, because of where I live I have few choices.

I can't get a quad with a higher clock speed, but it has L3 cache so is it better the the duel core? and if so how much better?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. You may not notice much difference; depends on what you use your system for. List your complete system specs; more ram or a newer video card may improve performance more.
  2. Yeah, I think it's solid upgrade and you will probably see a difference but that depends on what you're using your computer for.
  3. Best answer
    It looks to me like the Phenom II X4 920 @ 2.8 Ghz.
    Here are some benchmarks.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/28?vs=81

It looks like a worthy upgrade (not quite as much for some games though but a definite improvement and a significant improvement in other applications).
    Too bad that you can't get the faster 3.0 Ghz Phenom II X4 940 BE
  4. Thanks so much for the input guys, very helpful comments!

I got good news i was able to acquire the last Phenom II X4 940 3GHz AM2+ L3 6MB, Black Edition from a small local store. It was probably the last AM2+ processor in the city, lol.

So I still get the full 3.0Ghz when I play games that use 2 cores, now I get 2 extra cores for GTAIV and Battlefield Bad company 2, and general system stuff.

hhhhmmm I hope Handbrake works with 4 cores.....
  5. Best answer selected by NTuneR.
  6. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Phenom