Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 1GB of RAM very OC'd or GTX 460 2GB of RAM reference

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2010 7:19:54 AM

Should I get this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Which has 1GB of RAM but is clocked up to 810Mhz Core, 1620 Shader, and 4000Mhz Memory

Or should I get this card:

Which has 2GB of RAM but comes stock wtih 700Mhz Core, 1400Mhz Shader, and 3600 Memory

Can I OC the 2GB version? Will I be able to get it as high as the Galaxy card? It seems like the Galaxy card has way better cooling.

BTW, I'm thinking about running two of these in SLI
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 9:16:13 AM

For only a few bucks different I'd say go for the 2GB version and overclock it yourself. With stock cooling you'd probably be able to hit the same speeds as the pre-overclocked version (or at least pretty close) as long as you have good airflow in your case.

RAM on graphics cards help with image buffer more than anything, so if you're worried about overclocking it yourself and are only using a small screen (19" say) then I'd say go with the pre-clocked edition. Where as if you're on a 22" or larger monitor, get the 2GB version and clock it yourself - it'll make a difference.

ace.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 6:05:28 PM

I would go with an EVGA, Asus, MSI or Gigabyte card over either of those brands. Some people have great luck with the brands you are considering but in my opinion they are second tier to the top quality brands I listed.

EVGA cards ending in AR have a lifetime warranty that covers cooler modifications and overclocking as long as you register the card within 30 days of buying it.
MSI cards have adjustable voltage for max overclocking and one of the best coolers out there.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 6:13:57 PM

^^^ This is true.

If you're happy to spend a little extra I'd say go for the EVGA. I've never really had a play with MSI graphics cards (not new ones anyway) so can't comment on them. XFX are also a good choice but have pretty crap coolers.

Zotac are a VERY good way of getting some of the later cards as they're pretty cheap, but the build quality is amazing and they have good warranty.
m
l
August 14, 2010 6:33:45 PM

I didn't see a 2GB variant in anything other than the Palit. I'd be happy to buy the EVGA if I find one. I think NewEgg only had one 2GB 460 listed.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 8:24:07 PM

Only a few companies make them at this point. The question is does it actually help? MANY cards have more memory than they need as a marketing gimmick. The extra memory really does not make a difference except at super high resolutions with AA on. I have not seen enough reviews to tell if the extra memory is justified on the GTX460 yet to be sure.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3835/gainward-announces-a...
m
l
August 14, 2010 8:34:08 PM

Totally understood for gaming. And I'd like to do some gaming. But I'd also like to run CUDE and DirectCompute code and having as much of my dataset in video memory as possible certainly helps stop the constant data transfer over the system bus.

Since they are around the same price, is there any reason not to go for the 2GB? Will I be able to easily modify the cooler and OC?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2010 10:06:02 PM

In my opinion, 2GB memory on a GPU would only really be used for the following:

16x AA on 22" or larger
multiple 19"+ screens while gaming
video rendering (maybe?)
3D gaming at 120hz / 240hz

If you can get one, a Zotac GTX 465 1024MB would be my card of choice for £200.
m
l
August 14, 2010 11:15:51 PM

so 2gb would help out w/ three 22" monitors opposed to the 1gb?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 12:54:36 AM

I went to see how Palit markets the 2gb cards.

All they say is a 'oversized frame buffer'
http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1354#spec

There are numerous 2gb 5850/5870 cards. Almost no tech sites have done tests with eyefinity comparisons, so its hard to say if its 'worth it'.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 1:56:04 AM

The extra gig is almost useless for a single GTX 460 in terms of gaming. Only in SLI with a high resolution setup(2560x1600, 3D Vision) would it really matter.
I suppose for CUDA/DirectCompute functions it could be an advantage but really it depends on what you are running.
BTW the price difference is larger that indicated by the two cards you linked. The 1gb card you linked is both out of stock and overpriced. With the current prices on newegg this is the card I would recommend;
or if you are interested in the free game it comes with(it is good) then this one for $10 more;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
l
August 15, 2010 5:04:22 AM

I'm probably getting a 30" display or 2-3 24" displays.

The extra memory in CUDA/DirectCompute is important I think. I would be running code against large data sets; say multiple intermediate forms of a high-res image for computer vision, genomic and protein data, or maybe a few hundred million tweets.

The cards certainly range in price, but we're talking about $25-30, not $100. I'm more concerned about all the differences in how they are clocked, how easily they oeverclock, and how well they are cooled. That was kinda my concern with the Palit. The cooling fan looks basic so I wasn't sure how the temp would be under load and OC'd.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 6:02:06 AM

The cooler on those Palit cards tend to get poor reviews both for temps and noise. The 1gb card uses the same cooler and has 45 customer reviews and you'll see a lot of complaints;
The factory OC on any of these cards is meaningless if you are going to OC on your own. They all use the same processor and PCB at this point I believe so really it comes down to the cooler as the only thing that will affect the card's OC ability which is why I linked the two cards with the best coolers.
Another thing about the 2gb card is that at $267 shipped it is simply far too close in price to the GTX 470 to make sense imo. There is one for just $270 after rebate right now;
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 6:09:51 AM

A GTX460 with 2 GB is utterly useless because it is too weak to use all that RAM. It would only be useful if you have at least 2 for SLi, and are running it in very high resolutions.

Considering a GTX470 and GTX480 only has around 1.2GB-1.6GB of VRAM, a far weaker GTX460 with 2GB of VRAM is really a marketing gimmick.
m
l
August 15, 2010 6:40:55 AM

BlueScreen: Hence my initial post stating I was going to run them in SLI. And my later explanations that I was going to use them for CUDA/DirectCompute and likely on a 30" monitor.

Why is everyone only interested in telling me how the 2GB isn't good for gaming? That isn't my main use case!!

jy: Good point on the 470. Was trying to get 2 cards in SLI. Maybe I should just get a single 480 instead...
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 6:57:07 AM

Nah, the GTX 480 isn't nearly worth the money over the GTX 470. They are the same processor but the GTX 470 has one more block of shaders disabled which is just a 7% decrease. Most of the GTX 480's advantage comes from the higher stock speeds but if you are OCing the stock speeds are irrelevant because the two cards tend to OC to the same levels(being the same processor.) So for 50%+ more money you only get 7% more shaders and a bit more memory and bus width. It's simply a very poor deal in comparison to an OCed GTX 470 imo.
m
l
August 15, 2010 8:09:15 AM

Okay then, 2 460's or 2 470's? :) 
m
l
August 15, 2010 8:12:17 AM

if you have the money go w/ the 470's but if your on a budget then go w/ the 460's.. although the 470's are gonna produce alot more heat and use a lot more power than the 460's
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 9:21:35 AM

Even as a NVIDIA fan boy, I'd say either get the 480 or just get an ATI eyefinity card for your multiple screens. Remembering that NVIDIA cards only normally support 2 screens max.. if multiscreens is for you.. ATI have like 6 screen cards etc.
m
l
August 15, 2010 10:00:59 AM

I have an ATI Radeon 5870 in my PC at work. It's a great card. But I prefer NV for the stuff I want to do at home. CUDA is the best platform for GPGPU right now. The NV Fermi architecture is much better architected and explained for compute tasks. And NV has a sweet tool-chain that plugs into Visual Studio for debugging code running on the GPU. The 2 cards are important because if you debug on the same PC as where the code is running then one card is used to run the code and the other to debug it.
m
l
!